Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest akinsey

A171SHCPUN I/O Problem

15 posts in this topic

We had a problem with an A171SHCPUN unit in one of our machines. I replaced it with a new one but the new one will not read the I/O card. Before removing the old one I downloaded the program and parameters and then uploaded them into the new one. The I/O module is an A1SH42-S1, it is in the slot labeled P-I/O 0 on the back panel. The inputs will light on the module, but not show up in the PLC and no outputs will light. About a second or two after powering it up the Error LED will come on and it doesn't matter if it is in Run or Stop mode. I checked the register D9008 for any error codes, but it shows 0. I am using GX Developer to progam the unit. Is there something I am missing in setting up the new CPU module? I can put the original CPU in and it reads the I/O just fine, but it has a problem with the SSCNET communicating with the attached servos. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Adam

can you provide more info? what does the Diagnostics say (menu Diagnostics, then "PLC Diagnostics"...)? what is the configuration, is that card in local rack? what other cards are in the rack? you also seam to use upload and download word backwards (upload is read from plc, dowload is write to plc). this is not really important but may indicate that you are new. did you backup data tables and transfer them to new cpu? what kind of comm trouble you see with SSCNET? what is the configuration, how many axes, does any of them work and what was the change that created problem? maybe installed different card or servo drive? did you assign correct addresses to each drive (usually dial switch)? does the last drive have terminator? if the drive was changed, are the parameters updated as well? plc can change them but it doesn't have to, they may be stored in drive too.

The diagnostics says there are no errors. Watching the program in Monitor mode I can see that the program is running and shows some outputs should be on. The CPU just is not seeing any inputs or activating any outputs on the I/O card. The LEDs on the input card show that some inputs are on, but the PLC reads them all as 0. I tried a new I/O card just to see if that was the problem, but it did the same thing. The original PLC has no problem wiht the I/O. The rack only has two slots for cards and this card is right next to the CPU, the other slot is open. The rack model is A172B. I am fairly new to Mistusbishi equipment, most of the experience I have had on the machines here is from a programing stand point, I haven't had to deal with many hardware issues. Using GX Developer I uploaded the program, parameters, memory, and file registors. I then downloaded all of these to the new unit. The problem with the original unit is it was causing one of the servos to vibrate very badly like it had a gain problem. The night shift guys told me that the problem just started all of a sudden, and the way they found the problem was by part swapping with and the problem went from one machine to the other. All parts are now back in their original locations. I can put this PLC in another machine and get the same problem. The machine has two axis, one works just fine, the other moves slowly and vibrates very loudly and swapping the PLC CPU makes the problem go away. I am not very familiar with how this whole system works, like I said earlier most of my experience is programing, but I figured it probably had something to do with the SSCNET since that is how it communicates with the servo amplifier.

I believe I have found where my problem lies. The A171SHCPUN has two processors a sequence processor and a motion processor. GX Developer can only communicate with the sequence processor. Apparently I have to purchase some other software for uploading and downloading data from the motion processor to set it up to use the I/O module. I don't have the name of the software only the part number to order it, SW3RNC-GSVPROE. I plan to order the software this morning. Are the steps for downloading and uploading to/from the motion processor similar to what I would do with GX Developer for the sequence processor? Thanks

I'm not familiar with those, i was using SSCNET with QnAS and Q. If I can, I like to do everything in PLC so that the only software maintenance need to be familiar with is GX Dev. This sure worked for my SSCNET servos.

I agree about doing everything in the PLC if possible, but unfortunately I did not design or build this machine. The production line was sent to us from another facility a few years ago and this is the first time we have had to deal with any PLC problems on this particular type of machine. And of course the program doesn't have any comments and we don't have any documentation, so as normal, flying blind on someone else's design. Once I get the software and figure out what all is involved in making the changes so the system will start working I will post any info I can. Edited by akinsey

Inside the A171SHCPUN you have two CPU's. One P and one S cpu, also called PLC and motion controller. When you control several axis with a QD75Mx module, you do not have to use any other software than GX-Developer and if you like the GX Configurator QP. GX Configurator saves al lot of time to program the QD75Mx modules. It is no motion controller, more a position module. For you're problem, you will have to know what OS is running inside the motion controller. You are right about the software it is SW3RN-GSVxx, where the xx stands for the OS. You probably can buy the whole package, also known as MT-Developer. Then you will have all the standard OS systems in one. But if you have no luck it will be a special OS like OS43 (usage of G-codes) or OS52 (usage of robot commands) or any other. The default OS are: OS13, called a real mode where every axis is programmed directly and OS22, called a virtual mode where you can program inside the software things like gearboxes, CAM curves and lots of more nice stuff. So the first thing you will need to know before you buy anything is, what OS is running!!! In youre case the IO module is probably controller by the motion cpu. It behaves just like a multiple system Q. You need to tell each CPU witch modules it controls. So that is why you do not see any inputs. Inside the MT-Developer you have lots of more information about the controlled axis, included any error messages. This is very helpfull for any diagnostics. What about the error LED on your CPU after 2 seconds like you wrote before??? If there is any error the CPU will stop, or it's programmed in the parameters not to stop. If there is any error there should be any diagnostics aswell. If you have the software setup for the amplifiers, then you can also do a dianostics of the drives. Is there any huge load on the axis. Are there any warning inside the history of the drive. It will exclude some causes. And you can manually jog the axis to see if there is no mechanical problem. Edited by FNMdeJong

Thank you for the information about this unit, things are becoming a lot clearer for me now. When I talked to Mitsubishi tech support the part number for the software that they gave me didn't have a number on the end of it, it was SW3RNC-GSVPRO-E, and they told me all I had to do was upload the data from the motion control processor in the old unit and download it to the new one and I would be good to go. I am having absolutely zero luck with this whole ordeal. I ordered the software yesterday and had it overnighted, got it in this morning. The case and the CD-ROM both say A Motion Software, Part# SW3RNC-GSVPRO-E. But when I loaded it into my computer MC-Worx was the program actually on the disc. Supposed to be getting the new disc tomorrow, hopefully with the correct software on it. Can’t wait to see what else is going to happen.

My bad luck continues. The software that I have will allow me to the standard OS 13, 22, 43, and 51. But this unit has an OS 132, so there is nothing I can do with it. I would assume that I could set up this system with one of the other OS, but without being able to see any of the program that is in the original unit, I am competely lost as to where to start.

I've never heard of an OS 132. You should check with Mitsubishi technical support on that one. The different OS have different options and designed for different types of control. personally I'm not at all familiar with the A Series Motion Controller, and only slightly more so with the Q Motion Controller.

Whne you download a new OS you cannot run any of the old programs anymore, they are not understand by the new OS. So the programs are lost then. The last option is to contact your Mitsubihsi dealer, or the designer for more information. Maby i have in the office some more informtion about this OS, I will check it tomorrow.

Mitsubishi says they have never heard of OS132 and the machine manufacturer says it is a custom OS and the only way to program it is to have their program which is a DOS based program and only in Japanese, which they will gladly come out and program it for us, in two weeks. So we had to break down and order a new unit from the manufacturer and pay their hefty mark up. Of course, when it arrived, it would not work, the logic in the sequence processor was not setup correctly for this machine, even though we gave them the model and serial numbers, so after several hours of modifying the program to match how the I/O is wired and the data register addresses for the HMI, it is now running again. Thanks to all for the advice, at least I learned quite a bit about this device and will have a much better starting point if I run into another problem like this.

That's the problem with some OEMs who can't seem to get it through their heads to use standard products so they can be supported in the future. I'm sure what they were doing could be accomplished with the off the shelf OS options for the motion CPU, or perhaps they should have considered current product like the Q Series motion controller. That always frustrates me in the field. Like the guys who write time bombs into their program to stop the system after 1000 parts until you call them and buy an upgrade password. It's legal blackmail.

Hi Guest_akinsey Today, I have a problem like you at last time about A171SHCPUN, with OS132. Have you upload A171SHCPUN? I hope that you can help me. To Toan

Please do NOT post on a topic which has been inactive for 7 years. Please create a new topic if you have a new issue. And the fact that the name has Guest on it means the account no longer exists.