Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tunnysting

MSG instruction error

13 posts in this topic

I've been trying in vain to try and calibrate a HI200DNWM via a versaview. I took Bob's advice (cheers!) and first tried to read a value over devicenet using a MSG instruction but I keep getting the error 16#0001, extended error 16#0000_0113. These give the error path - Devicenet,2,1 and error test connection failure. I am using a flex1794-L34 controller with a 1788-DNBO/A devicenet card. The MSG instruction is via logix5000 v.13, it is a CIP generic, get attribute single. The class (from the weigh card eds file is CLass:F, Instance:14, Attribute: 1.) The destination tag is a DINT. In the communication tab the path is set as: Devicenet,2,1 (amplifier is node 1 on devicenet network) Connected is checked, cache is unchecked. When I enable the instruction I get the previous error message. When I rang rockwell tech support they thought it could be something to do with the class but when I tried the same figures using networx software it worked. Any ideas?

Can you post a location for the EDS file for this device ? EDIT: Silly lad, Google is everywhere. http://www.hardyinst.com/sample.html Are you using a Series A or a Series B ? I always test my connectivity and PATH entry by sending a Get Attribute Single to Class 1, Instance 1, Attribute 1 (the Vendor # in the Identity Object). There's no chance of confusing the hex or decimal values, and every device supports the Identity Object. I think you would get a different error if the problem was object addressing. A Connection error tends to indicate what it says; usually you have the destination node number incorrect. Hmm. Edited by Ken Roach

Ken, I'm using a series B. I tried Class 1, Instance 1, Attribute 1 but still get the same error. It looks like a path error to me but I'm told this is fine?? Cheers.

The path appears fine. When you name a network module in RSLogix 5000, the path browse allows you to get to that module by name instead of by slot number. "2" is the network port of the 1788-DNBO, and "1" is the DeviceNet node number of the Hardy device. I was asking about C/I/A = 1/1/1 because there's a difference between sending messages with the SCIA Editor in RSNetworx and the MSG command in RSLogix 5000. In RSNetworx, all the fields are in hexadecimal (service, class, instance, and attribute). For reasons unbeknownst to mortal men, the Instance field in RSLogix 5000 is in decimal. The Service, Class, and Attribute fields are in hex, and are labeled with "(hex)" but the Instance number is in decimal. Thus sending "F/14/3" in RSNetworx would get you the value of Parameter Twenty (14 hex) but the exact same numbers entered in RSLogix 5000 would get your the value of Parameter Fourteen (0E hex). But that's not your problem, because you're not getting a bad value or a service failure, you're getting a connection failure. I do not know if the Hardy device will support the Unconnected Message Manager, or if it can support multiple explicit clients. You might try this MSG both with the Hardy device enabled and disabled in the scanlist of the 1788-DNBO. If you have any A-B devices on the network, try sending a Get Attribute Single to their Identity Object (C/I/A = 1/1/1) too.

Ken, tried this on powerflex on next node on Dnet and get the same error message as with hardy. ???

Aha ! I recalled that you mentioned the "Connected" option on the Communication tab in the MSG configuration applet is checked, and "Cached" is unchecked. I was able to get the same error code (Error 16# 0001, Extended Error 16# 0000_0113 ) by checking that "Connected" option box. With the "connected" box un-checked, the messages go through as expected. I think that a full CIP Connection is not necessary for DeviceNet Explicit Messaging (because the 1788-DNBO actually handles the connection establishment in a Group 2 or Group 3 DeviceNet message itself) so that's why you leave this box unchecked.

Error 16#0113 - "connection limit exeeded". In your case it means, that module can't accept connected message.

Thanks Ken, tried without the connected box checked and it worked fine. Thanks again, Lee.

Managed to program a hard calibration at last, with your help. I was getting some weird and wonderful results till I rememberd what Ken said about alternating between HEX and DEC with the instance. Definitely one to remember, when Getting Attribute the instance needs to be in HEX but when Sending Attribute it needs to be DEC. Don't know about anyone else but to me that's just crazy. Cheers all.

In RSlogix 5000 instance is always Decimal for both Get and Set instructions. Edited by Contr_Conn

I am not a software developer, but my wild guess for making the Instance number decimal instead of hexadecimal in RSLogix 5000 is that the most common CIP Generic message is to the Parameter Object, which is very commonly used in A-B variable frequency drives. The Parameter Object definition (it's an ODVA definition) sets the Instance number equal to the Parameter number. Most users are going to look in their drive's user manual or in RSNetworx at the parameter number they want to send a message to, and think of that number as a decimal. Great thing to be aware of. Good luck with your Hardy calibration project.

Finished project thanks to all help, much appreciated! Took a few hours to draw a pretty HMI screen with the calibration on and my boss tells me he doesn't want any operators to be able to use it so I've had to use push buttons locked in a panel. Nevermind, it taught me more than I knew so it was worth it. Cheers, Lee.