Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobLfoot

Literature Library Changing

22 posts in this topic

Went to the Lit Library of Rockwell at 4:30 am EDT and received the following strange looking page. Ideas Anyone?

I get the same thing. I know it worked Sunday

I went there at 3:30PM yesterday and it was the old way. Just checked this morning and it is the old way.

Ditto for me. Maybe Rockwell was doing some overnight Web maintenance, and didn't expect many hits at 3:30 a.m. CDT...

Sorry about that, Bob. Usually we do server maintenance at midnight Saturdays, but I think you'll agree that this midweek one was targeted at a low-usage hour. The new servers are spiffy, though. They still have that new computer smell, and the lights are so pretty.

That's what we do too. So if you surf MrPLC.com at midnight and see strange things on the website, it's just chako tweaking some scripts or database entries.......

My goodness!!! You mean if I am having a sleepless night I may not be able to get onto MrPLC at midnight?

Nice to know for the few of us night owls who call 11 PM first thing in the morning and eat dinner at 5 AM.

The Knowledgebase is looking a bit different this morning (07:45 CDT). Keeps asking for e-mail address and password. I'm logged into the Rockwell site, but is there something new for the knowledgebase?

I had to create a new account. The same login I had before for Rockwell Software Updates, would not work for the KB. So I created a new one. I also needed to submit my techconnect support number. It says though if you don't have one, you can just enter PUBLIC. So I assume this new "system" they have is not sharing a single login database at this point.....

Yeah, I figured that out eventually. Crappy thing is this: We have a techConnect contract, but as an engineer, I don't know what the number is. Sounds like the "Rockwell Rant" thread.....

This new knowledgbase could impact the way information is shared at MrPLC.com (and related message boards). After logging in to the knowledgebase, I was experimenting with copying a link to a specific document. When I opened a new browser and pasted the link, I was directed to the technote. HOWEVER, I noticed that my name was listed in the top left corner and "Public" was listed in the top right (I do not have a TechConnect number). Chako, I wonder if you were to copy a link from the knowledgebase, would your TechConnect contract number show up? I know that I would not want that getting out into the public domain... Rick

This is a VERY good point. KB is in a FRAME now, so it doesn't show a URL in the top, you have to copy the link before you click it. If you do that, there is a KEY associated with the query to KB. But I don't see my techconnect number. I am positive though it's embedded in the key. http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/cgi...amp;p_topview=1

Interesting...when I clicked on the link to your email, I did go to the document you selected "What Driver do I use in RSLinx...". But my name and the Public sign-in are shown in the top corners of the frame... You could be right that your information is somehow embedded in the key, and I don't know enough about the key to know if it's possible to hack it. Another interesting test would be to have someone who has not yet created a new Knowledgebase account to test your link...Perhaps access would be denied if the user is not in the system? Hmmm.....

Not sure what you guys are talking about but I have no problem getting to the Knowledge Base at this link: http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...Search?OpenForm No different then it has been. No login.

This link worked fine for me too.

That link may work for the time being if you have it bookmarked. If you attempt to access the knowledgebase from http://support.rockwellautomation.com, you will see the new interface we are talking about. Rick

I see said the blind-man. I will keep using the old until they change it.

This is what I recieved on the 24th, so I know that things are and have been changing. Great News! Rockwell Automation has been working hard to improve our on-line problem solving and proactive notification capability. In an effort to simplify our proactive email notification, we have centralized this function within our NEW Knowledgebase! From this single location you can now set your proactive notification preferences for Knowledgebase Answers, Firmware/Software Updates, Obsolescence Notices, Release Notes and much more! In addition, we have added a second level of product hierarchy so that you can more definitively identify the specific product notifications you need. Simply visit www.rockwellautomation.com/knowledgebase, go to MyStuff>Profile, then select your Product/Category Notification preferences to continue to receive email notifications! We hope that this new and targeted functionality brings your business needs and our product experience closer! Sincerely, Rockwell Automation

The following is tongue in cheek for those that do not know me well enough yet. Reading between the lines I interpret that as follows: Greetings to those still using the most expensive PLC's in the business. Don't Worry Feel Happy. Because of recent changes in our management structure and our need to update our user database informatoin, much of which was lost when we ended the Logix forums, we've changed servers for our knowledgebases and packaged it a new shiny "better" service. All we ask is that you give us your life history and a lease on your firstborn. You'll soon have emails and junk mail with all the new and expensive things we can do with products you haven't yet bought. Tongue back in mouth. Hope this means Rockwell is continuing to provide support when we need it.

i like your explination Bob. i think this could be another rant....... but i wont go there....yet

Thanks for the encouragement Dave. In the interest of fairness, I have used Rockwell product for years, and gotten excellent results and support. Of course I paid for it, {or my company did}