Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lazy

Cable Sizing

6 posts in this topic

Hi All. I am just wondering if anyone has a standard wiring size chart for control panels. I am talking of cables for ampage from 10 amps to 1000 amps?? I don't know the correct name for the cable sizing convention but I am in Ireland and we use the term 195 square cable, 1.5square cable etc. I have to wire a softstart and allow for about 500 amps

If you were in the US i'd say consult your NEC Electrical Pal book. We have NEC {National Electric Code} and NFPA 70 {Nathional Fire Protecton Association} which are incorporated by reference into our OSHA {Occupational Safety and Health} regulations. Couldn't find an exact match, I am at home without my PAL, but 260 Amps would need AWG 4/0 or 13 mm sq. So 500 Amp would need twin 4/0 or twin 13 mm sq. Just a Kentucky windage answer. I would think that your CE guidelines should have a similiar chart to our NEC.

Here is a free online software that will calculate cables sizes to IEC and the UK Wiring Regulations: http://www.myelectrical.com/pages/cables/cableSizing.aspx For tables you need to look a the standards/regulations and there are quite a few tables. You also need to consider the derating factors. The above site also has online versions of the tables and derating factors which you could look at. Just using the software is a lot easier.

hi friend.. i have a standard cable size selection chart.. in this chart the cable size has calculated according to the load.. i think the sizes you required also is there in the chart.. have a look at it.. if you have anything like this please share it to me.. cable size selection

What is the lenght of the run? What type of cable are you using, i.e. Singles

Here's the Batt Cables current rating charts for their Tri-rated control panel cable. Tri Rated Cable - CURRENT.pdf