Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rainofwind

how to transfer between pc and pg?

12 posts in this topic

good day everyone! i want to know how to transfer a s5 file between a laptop and a pg The OS is MSDOS 5.0 and the STEP 5 is Version 3.0 The cable is TTY. sorry i even don't know how to edit or programme a file with S5. 'cause I have no information about S5 software. and sometimes i have to switch off the power for plc and the user program will be lost after that.(i have no backup battery) what i need to do is to transfer the user file from lattop to plc. but i don't know how to operate. unlucky as i know the manuals i have don't refer to this question. maybe it is very simple for experts but i am a new one. so i need your help. Thanks! rainofwind

Hello rainofwind Maybe someone else can provide better help, but I will try to answer as best as I can. First, get a backup battery ! It is the same kind of Lithium battery that used to be the standard in SLR cameras (before digital cameras became normal). Second, if there is an EPROM in the PLC, then the PLC will load the program from it upon powerup, if there is no backup battery. The EPROM sits in the CPU and normally has a prominent orange card that you cannot miss. How to operate this old version of STEP5 I am afraid to say anything. You have to open the utility to transfer all the blocks to the PLC. It is under one of the F-keys. And then you have to specify the blocks, which I think is "A" for "all blocks". And then you have to accept everything with INSERT or F3, dont remember exactly which. As you can see, I am not of much help. 15 years since I worked with STEP5 v3. In the later versions that I worked with, the menu structure was much different.

thanks JesperMP i now get a new Li battery 3.6v 5Ah but as i operate according to the description in the manual i can't pull out the battery holder and at last i give up. and i have to turn to the third way. 'cause it just is a ram without battery. and refer to the 3rd method you mentioned i open the software STEP5 and try. i seem to master the procedure and it finally displayed "...(i forget) overwrite" or something else? maybe it is the last step. Is that right? thanks for your concern! rainofwind

Hello again. You should be able to pull the old battery without shutting down the CPU. As far as I remember then you had to confirm to overwrite existing blocks. But I can remember very little about the actual procedure.

hello JesperMP i won't shut down the cpu when i haven't really mastered the procedure and made out how to change the battery. looking up the manual, the battery holder should be pulled out towards me. But it may be blocked by something. I try some times and fail. i dare not use too much force. i wonder if there is something else i dont't konw. i will pull out the whole power supply to see how it could be when it is time for productive maintenance. and the last step about the procedure displayed"already existing in pc, overwrite?" . you are right. thanks again! rainofwind

whats the PLC??? The earlier Siemens PLC programming packages were cpm and not dos.

The plc is S5 135U CPU is 928 or 928B . i am not for sure. regards rainofwnd

Dude, the answers which the experts have given r gud. But i wud like to add on the lines of what they said. First get a battery back up. robinho

Hey by the way, which brand is that?

Hi guys, I am new to this forum and i hope to become a regular member.There is lot of information that i wish to share with you and also contribute to this forum.

Hi robinho. You are already a regular member. If you are talking about your title just keep posting and it will change according to your post count. Once you get to a certain amount of post you will be able to change your title to whatever you wish

hi! long time no see! thanks everyone!