Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Danny

Unable to open the specified com port for configuration testing AB

16 posts in this topic

Hello AB Users, Who can help me to solve this problem please - I try to configure a RS-232/DF1 device driver using rslinx to connect to my micrologix 1200 , 1000 and slc 500/4. In the configure screen in the rslinx I have selected as below- Comm Port : Com1 Device : SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview Baud Rate : 19200 Station Nummber : 00 Parirt : None Error Checking : BCC Stop Bits : 1 Protocol : Full Duplex The next thing I do is click on Auto-Configure button then a pop up massage showing ( Unable to open the specified com port for configuration testing ) and also I have try to change the seting above it still the same. And then I try to configure the rslinx driver (RS-232/DF1) connect to me contrologix PLC and is working. And no problem go online using rslogix 5000 software. I hope some can resolve this problem for me. Thank you very much Cheer!!!

This message usually happens when the OS I assume windows in your case has the COM Port reserved for another program {FAX, Internet, Etc}. Check and see if you have the fax process running.

I did not use this notebook as fax and not connect to Internet too. By way how can I check it has been used by the fax or the inetrnet???

Palm Software is another famous on. One other question. Is this a built in com port or an adaptor? Are you sure it is com 1?

Hey Danny, If you already have a RS links DF1 configured for RS5000 it will be using your com port so you will need to delete or at least stop it running before trying with RS500. I have had this happen many many times. Regards Craig W

Hi Craig W Before I reinstall the DF1 driver for the ML1000, ML1500 or SLC 500. I have deleted the DF1 that configured to the RS5000 / Contrologix. It still not working. Thank you Craig W Regards Danny

I would try a different com port like 4 or 5 and I would also do the big reboot on the PC after removing the other DF1 it sounds like a pain but sometimes works. Some Pc's use com1 as a mouse controller. The eeror meassage you are getting is definately tell us that something is using the comm port. Regards Craig W

Craig W. I would like to try to use different ports, how can I select different port like port # 4. Can you please give me some idea how to change it to Com port # 1 to port #4. Thanks again Regards Danny

Some stuff to read, maybe something there. Also when you first add the DF1 driver you don't need to change any of the settings just click on autoconfigure first. Also error checking on the SLC anf ML stuff defauts to CRC http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...AB?OpenDocument Edited by Mickey

In RSLinx Classic, you can have only one driver configured to use the COM1 serial port at a time. I always use the same driver and simply go into the Configuration window and use the Autoconfigure button when I switch betweeen SLC/MicroLogix and ControlLogix family controllers. Although it might be possible that the DF1 driver that you had configured to communicate with ControlLogix still had control over the COM1 serial port when you tried to configure a new driver for SLC-500, I have not seen that behavior in modern PC's (i.e. since Windows 98). You might be deleting just the RSWho instance of the previous driver (in the browsing window) rather than actually deleting the driver from the RSLinx configuration. Make sure that in the configuration window you have only one serial port driver configured:

Does your laptop have an IR port. Sometimes this uses com 1. If so, you would then need to use the IR port utility to shut it off.

Sometimes I have to do the crlt+at+del routine and select task manger+processes and scroll down until I find RSLINXNG.exe and end that process before I can load the DF1 driver, also I have loaded my PIC driver and reserved it for com 1 then after having it loaded, I del that and then add my df1 driver, I know this is a pain and I am still trying to fix mine, but it will get you up and communicating. Electrode.

Thank you very much. I will try this instruction as above. Regards Danny

Doc3.doc Hi Danny Attached is a screen dump of rslinx you should be able to use the drop down box to select a different comm port. If there are no others available on this list then you need to add comm ports in device manager on the PC. They are virtual comm ports so your cable to PLC stays in the same place. I would add a few. Regards Craig W