Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest jonnie75

1747-aic instead of 1747-pic?

13 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever tried using a 1747-AIC interface module instead of a 1747-PIC module to program a SLC 500 using RSLogix. If this is possible, can you tell me the part number of the cable that goes from the SLC to the AIC and the part number of the cable that goes from the AIC to the serial port of the PC. Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes and it works fine. For an SLC with a RS232 Port the SLC RS232 Port to AIC Mini Din Port using 1761-CBL-AP00 PC RS232 port to AIC RS232 Port using 1747-CP3 hope this helps , Chris

Heres the AIC+ manual AB_AIC_Network_Interface.pdf

For a serial connection you'll need the AIC+ as chrisbramall suggests, not the AIC module. There is a big difference. So make sure you don't get those two part confused. But All you need from the AIC+ module to the serial port of the SLC is a CP3 cable. I think the number is 1747-CP3. I don't have an AB catalog handy to verify. I'll check the catalog on MONDAY, unless someone beats me to it.

Thanks for pointing out the diffrenece between a 1747-AIC and the 1761-NET-AIC. I have been looking at the wrong one. I will also start looking into the cables that have been recommended so far.

yes the 1747-CP3 is right. But it all depends on what devices you want to connect. If you want to connect a panelview to the SLC5/03 RS232 port then you will have to use the DH485 Port  (where the PIC normally connects) to couple to the AIC+ unit using a 1761-CBL-AS09 (You can build your own and the pin outs are in the manual previously posted.) You can the connected to the AIC using the 1747-CP3 to the RS232 or the 1761-CBL-AP00 to the mini din. At the end of the day it depends what devices you want to connect. In one of my previous threads where I was using a radio link to get the right number of ports I had to network to AIC+ units to each SLC5/04 processor using the DH485 AIC+ port 3 to bridge between the units and a 1747-KE card. the mini din on the first unit went to the CPU the RS232 on the first unit went to the panel view which gave me either an RS232 or a mini din on the second to connect the laptop

Thanks again for all of the info. You guys sure took the mystery out of that in a hurry. I like the fact that there are some very experienced people out there that are willing to share their knowledge with the rest of us. :)

Share and Share alike, we all have had problems which others have helped us with so we just return the favour. What configuration of AIC+ and cables did you finally end up with then ?

You can connect from your PC serial port to either the mini-DIN port or the serial port (9 pin) on the AIC+. Either will work. Then connect from the Phoenix port (the one with the terminal screw plug) to the SLC500 RJ-45 port using the cable 1761-CBL-AS03 (or -09; this designates length). I made up my own cable. The port on the SLC500 looks like an ethernet port for computer networking but is not--don't ever try it! Just get a network patch cord and cut off one end or have your friendly MIS department put a RJ45 plug on your cable. Then test the pinout with your ohmmeter and connect it to the Phoenix plug using the pinout listed on the AB website.  I'll post the exact link as soon as I find it. The SLC500 can provide sufficient 24VDC current for the AIC+ as long as it isn't being used for anything else--the AIC+ is all it can handle.

Here is that RJ45 pinout info.  Go to the AB website-knowledge base-search page. Scroll to the bottom and enter the application note number.  Enter G16104 for the pinout of the 1761-CBL-AS03 cable.  Enter A15826 for information on using the AIC+.  I forgot to mention that my previous post refers to connecting the 1761-NET-AIC.

The pin outs are in the AIC+ manual which I posted earlier. I know cause thats what I used to make up my lead.

I was also wanting to ask chrisbramall what function the 1747-KE card served in this particular situation? Sorry for all of the questions but this is a new module to me. I will check ab.com for the manual and see what it says (probably the first logical thing I have said yet).

The KE Module is a DH485 to DF1 Single node protocol convertor. The customer that I was working for specified the model of the panelview which used the DH485 protocol as well . The only radio modem I could get which was approved used the DF1 protocol so thanks to some help from other members of this forum I managed to  get the whole lot working. using DH485 for local comms on the SLC5/04 and panelview and DF1 for the radio comms.