Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tbode

Upload from a PLC 5/15

20 posts in this topic

I have a client with a PLC 5/15 issue. I would like to go on line and troubleshoot a machine fault condition. RSlogix 5 does not appear to support the 5/15, goes from 5/11 to 5/20. What are my options? I do not believe that client has a programming package anymore (notes refer to 6200 software). He may have a backup of the project.

We have PLC5/15s and use RSLogix5 with no issues(except it has to do an upload every time you go online, because the Classic PLC5/15 does not have the checksum feature) Edited by newpageboba

I'm using RSLogix 5, ver 7.0 and while I don't have a 5/15, I can select it for a new project, so I don't see why you couldn't go online with an existing one. By defalut, when you open a new project the newer enhanced processors are shown, by going to the left hand box and selecting original, the older processors are shown.

As people pointed, 5/15 is a classic processor, and you probably did not change Platform from Enhanced to Original (or Classic). Once selected, PLC5/15 will appear. Just keep in mind that this PLC has no serial port and you need PCMK card to connect. Edited by Contr_Conn

Thanks for quick responses. I do have a PCMK card. If client gives me the project in 6200 format, can I import it into RSLOGIX?

Yes you you can import the 6200 into RsLogix 5

I got the 6200 format file(s) from my client. When I opened the .X5 file, everything appeared to work until I got a message the the .IOM file was corrupt. I am assuming that this is the I/O module configuration as my project shows no modules in any slots. What is my best way to proceed prior to going on site? Ask client for module numbers by visual inspection? If I get on site and connect via my PCMK card, can I upload from the controller and repair this issue? By the way, RSLOGIX shows the CPU as a 5/25, not a 5/15. What driver is selected in RSLINX for the PCMK card?

How much changing to you have to make? I would be concered not having the entire processor image and making a lot of changes only to find out it is not the file that was in the processor. There is lots to go wrong with that senerio If there are only a few changes then I would create the changes in an RsLogix 5 file and note where they should be placed, then when you get there upload the processor image and paste the changes in. Who said it is a PLC5/15? Person, file, or part number on the processer?

I am troubleshooting a "Machine Fault" situation where the attached panelview does not give any information. I should not be changing anything. I just want to ensure that I am looking at the current logic with descriptors. Client told me that it was a 5/15.

I would go with what the program says and say the guy mad a mistake. Since you are not changing anything, atleast until you get there, just use the offline file for review of the ladder and when you get there upload the file out of the processor and use your offline file for your descriptors.

With the "classic" PLC-5's you have to do an upload from the plc to your laptop everytime you go on line. So you will have the latest and greatest at that time. The only thing you need from the old off line file is the comments, which you should be able to export from the suspect file, and import into the new uploaded program. Many older PLC-5 programs do not have any I/O listed in the I/O configuration, it's not required. Each chassis slot is allocated memory in the I/O table based upon the type of addressing used, 1-slot, 2-slot etc.... It's not based upon what type of card is located there.

Greetings tbode, keep your eye on this ... it might not have anything to do with your project, but the ".X5" file format is usually an indication that the original copy was saved using the (old) "AI" software package ... the (older) 6200 software usually saved with a ".AF5" extension ... you should be able to translate either version into RSLogix5 - but confusing the 6200 or AI issue MIGHT generate extra confusion ... don't WORRY about it - but just be aware that some of the things you're posting don't exactly "line up" with each other ... I've got a hunch that once you're onsite, things will fall into place ... just be sure to take a copy of every-single-solitary file you can get your hands on with you ... then copy all of those files (regardless of how they were saved) into the default directory where RSLogix5 can find them ... once that's done, then RSLogix5 USUALLY does a pretty good job of putting things together ... good luck ... and let us know how it goes ...

The IOM file is not critical but it is handy if you have smart analog modules. This lets you use the Block Xfer setup screen. You can rebuild this info later on by surveying the modules in the field.

Had client check again and I am dealing with a 5/25. Am I correct in assuming that the PCMK card connects to Port A via the round port connection and that I will be using the AB_KT-1 driver configured to PCMK to communicate?

No, PLC5/25 does not have a round connector, you will use PCM5 cable instead and connect to DB9 connector.

This is correct. Just make sure that your PCMK's DH+ address is unique on the network.

Here's an update to my project. I was able to connect to the 5/25 with no problem. The system has one local full rack with five 10-60VDC 16pt output modules, an empty slot, and ten 10-60VDC input modules. I did a remote I/O autoconfig and found a rack 2 and rack 7. There is also a Panelview 2711-TC1X ser B on the network. The fault message they wanted me to troubleshoot would not show up, but maintenance thinks that it is related to the panelview itself and not the system. Having connected and uploaded the program, I still do not see the card layout for the local rack. How would I access this? If I were to create a new 5/25 project, how do I tell the system what card is in what slot? plc_config.doc

You will not see cards, because PLC5 really don't care what cards you put. You can add them manually to I/O configuration, but this is for documentation only and will not be savet to the PLC memory. If you see racks 2 and 7, do you really have them? Is your panelview connected via RIO? If yes, this may be rack numbers assiged to PV

There is a half rack (8 slot) in a panel across the aisle. It contains three 10-60VDC input modules and three 10-60VDC output modules. Documentation for this system was never kept current. As my attachment showed, my autoconfig picked up a quarter rack and a full rack. Panelview may be connected RIO. I didn't have time to verify.

8-slot chassis is a "half rack" only if 2-slot addressing used. In most of installatons people using 1-slot addressing and 8-slot chassis will be a full rack. Pull ASB adapter and check dip switches on the chassis. Quater rack is most likely your PV