Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
todd99

Cognex Checker

8 posts in this topic

http://www.cognex.com/products/Checker/default.asp Have any of you guys used this? I got a demo from a salesmen the other day, if this thing works as promised there are a lot of places I could use it. The sensor and accesories (including software, cables, breakout board, lens kit) is under $2500. I haven't much experience with vision systems, and it was a few years ago, but I know they used to be pretty expensive. Any thoughts?

I have never used them but did look into them. You might want to read some of Chakorules articles http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?page=ind...;id=20&c=37 http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?page=ind...;id=31&c=28 http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?page=ind...;id=72&c=20 Chakorules also has some samples in the downloads section HERE

I've used this a few times. It's not a FULL BLOWN vision system! It depends on your application where I would use a Cognex Checker verses the full blown big brother, the Insight camera. Application hints: you need to tell the difference between a label missing or presents. = Checker you need check the orientation on a part using a back light = Checker you need to check 25 things on your part = Insight you need to measure dimensions on your part = Insight you need to use your camera for robot guidance = Insight you can only spent $3000 but you need to check 25 things on your part = YOUR IN BIG TROUBLE. Basically it's a high end photoeye. One of the pluses though is that it has Pattern Finding abilities. This makes it pretty nice. also there are no lens options, and the lens has HORRIBLE fishy-eye. that's because you need to mount the camera close to your part. The built in light is quite nice, and the software is extremely easy to use. Don't get tunnel vision with these features, make sure this camera can do your inspections you want....it's easily MISAPPLIED...then people wonder why they get a bad taste in their mouth using vision systems because they spec the wrong camera.

I admit I have been dying to use on but Chakorules advised against it in my application. Too much dust. But I'm getting ready to put a dust collector on it, might be time to renew these thoughts

I used one recently to validate that a Ford logo was present or not present on a part and it worked pretty good. The best thing to do is to take your exact application to the salesguy and let him show you that it can be done BEFORE you purchase and design a control system around it. (Actually you should do this for ANY vision system). Worst case is that you need to surround the station to block out any exterior light and also figure in some expensive lighting.

A few years ago we had no cameras in house. A salesman talked someone into buying a DVT system just to check threads on one 6MM hole. Before you know it we had 8 DVT systems all just checking one hole for threads. I have done 4 projects over the last 2 years and have used the Banner P3/P4 series vision systems. Not all the features of DVT but just what I needed for 1/3 the price. Its always nice to have a few extras but no need to pay the premium for things you will not use. Bob Edited by bob1371

Lighting can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 extra. That's why the built in light on the Checker is nice. You can also use filters on your cameras to block sun light. (only availbe on Insight cameras) I use a polarizer lens on the light and camera lens and sometimes a sharp cut off on the lens to combat sunlight from factories that have skylights. Sometimes it's not possible to enclose the camera totally. That is always option #1 for me. Careful using two polarizers, they have to be turned just right and aligned with each other otherwise they block ALL light from passing when out of sync of each other.

Can't comment on CHecker we use the Insight system to measure Pie Crusts and it peforms quite well, provided we clean the lenses routinely {Flour dust issue}. They electricians who wnet to training seem to have little trouble adjusting them as needed. Their tech support has been available when needed.