Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bjclem

CLX TO PLC5

15 posts in this topic

I AM TRYING TO SEND A MESSAGE FROM THE CONTROL LOGIX PROCESSOR TO A PLC5 , DOES NOT SEEM TO WORK , IF ANYONE HAS SAMPLES OF THIS WOULD HELP OUT ALOT . tHANKYOU

Refer to this thread

I wonder why Gerry picked that thread... An excerpt from that thread Just kidding of course, an excellent post

Just to be fair and correct statament in topic referenced above: This message is documented in the user manual: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...um514_-en-p.pdf Page 6-2 and 6-3.

Fair enough. I'm not certain I've ever seen that document, but will look for it tomorrow. I did not examine the entire document (it IS lenghthy!) but even on the pages you cited, I found no examples worded to the effect "if you wish, for example, to send 5 words from here to there . . . ". Personally, the manual would be far more user friendly if such examples were frequently used. The screen shots are GOOD, but could be greatly enhanced by citing an example scenario and walking through it. The info in the screen shots then would have much more meaning. Just my 2¢ worth. Thanks again to all for the help. Bill

Never saw the user manual? Why? Because you did not try to find it. RTFM is a first rule! And I just don't understand how words may be better than pictures If someone don't understand them, then he has nothing to do in this business. BTW here is what you are looking right at the top of page 6-2 Edited by Contr_Conn

CC: Actually, with the "popularity" of e-books (which I don't care for), I've gotten out of the habit of looking for the ducumentation ON PAPER. But I do have, and used for hours, one of the applicable manuals, and could not solve the problem. What is missing, IMHO, in the example you cite, is specifics like "A PLC-5 is at DH+ address xx and a CLX processor is at DH+ address yy, and this example shows how to . . .". I actually applaud the use of screen shots. I just happen to think that if an example scenario were created in the manual, and then the instructions (and screen shots/pictures) brought that scenario to reality, it would be MORE useful. The manual, as it is, has value. Is it possible, though, that there are ways to make it MORE valuable? Thanks for your time. Bill

Now I have to admit I don't do a lot with DH+ but this manual does pretty much say this is how to do a message from a PLC5 at node xx to a CLX at node yy. What am I missing? Just in case you missed it when you read the friendly manual, the CLX was node 10 and the PLC5 was node 15

CC & TW: Okay, I knew better than to discuss this without first PRINTING the manual so I could study it! Told ya I don't like e-books. My oversight, sorry. Thanks for keeping me straight! Bill

I have to admit, it has been very hard for me to get used to reading manuals on the computer. If it is hard reading I still have to print out the chapter. But I usually just ask the question here. Someone such as Gerry or CC will have experience doing it and guide me through

You don't have to print the manual, your A-B distributor or RA salesman can get a printed copy for you.

Yessir, you are right about that. Oddly enough, up until early this year, that person was my youngest son! But he left that job to work for an integrator (likes the hands-on stuff better). Have a great evening! Bill

thanks guys I did use the user manual to fiqure it out . Thankyou are all your replys .

Thank you for coming back and telling us how it worked out

Sheesh!