Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smoke

ONS

18 posts in this topic

I just found out that CLX will let me use a ONS in a branch. I'm liking that.

Yes, Controllogix does not have the restrictions that the others have. Do you know you can put outputs in series instead of branching them?

And it actually works? Can you put an output, then an N.O. contact, then another output? So the first output turns one, but the second one won't unless the N.O. contact is on?

This is a perfectly valid rung

Wow...that's crazy awesome. No more double rungs for your timer done! Can you connect to the DN bit instead of the EN bit?

Does that mean while one branch is thru and after one scan even if that branch is true the second branch can trigger a one shot pulse?? Regards _______

I dont' think so

No, only in Modicon ;) In Logix you connect to EN and just add XIC of the DN bit

Greetings to all ... those little doodads on the right side of the TON aren't "bits" and you can't really "connect" to them ... actually they're just "status flag" indicators - much like the oil pressure lamp on the dashboard of many cars ... specifically, they just highlight green (or not) as a handy means of showing the one/zero status of the actual bits/boxes which are located in the processor's memory ... picture them like the figure below and their operation will become more obvious ... in this case the TON will run (until done) whenever "go" is true ... AND if "keep_going" is also true, then "gone" will be executed with true logic ... secret handshake: the "enabled/done/timing" status of the TON does NOT affect the true/false logic of this rung ... specifically, if true logic comes in to the TON, then true logic goes out of the TON - regardless of the status of the timer's bits ... it's just that whenever "go" is true, then coincidentally the TON also happens to be "enabled" ... therefore it LOOKS LIKE the rest of the rung is "connected" to the timer's ENabled bit ... but really it's not ... so the screen looks like this ... but it functions like the figure at the top of this post ... as with most things of this nature, a little experimentation with a spare system will accomplish wonders along the path of enlightenment ... and incidentally, the PLC-5 processors will also allow an ONS instruction to be used in an "input" branch ... it's the OSR instruction of the SLC platform that gives most of the trouble along these lines ... Edited by Ron Beaufort

well, i might be alone here but i never liked AB oneshots in any form or shape because they require me to create, use and comment additional memory. i would be so much happier if they would finaly adopt one shot format that takes that burden off my shoulders. isn't that what productivity tool is supposed to do? more over i've seen many inexperienced programmers making logic errors caused by oneshots (i was there too). i see in many places where rung look like this : (i pur OSR just as an example, works the same regardless of oneshot function) ---|A|----|B|----|C|-----[osr]-----------( X ) where it maybe should be like this ---|B|---[osr]----------------------------( M ) ---|A|-----|M|-----|C|--------------------( X ) or this ---|B|---[osr]-----|A|------|C|----------( X ) for those who don't recognize it, think about scenario where A or C would also change state while B is on (X would see more pulses). it is possible to make same error with any instruction set but imho it happens much less on platforms where one has choice to use oneshot contact with actual input address. logix5000 might has introduced number of improvements but there are things i do miss alot. good example is online editing where one cannot do multiple rung edits and compile only selection unless that selection happens to be just one rung. i would like to do 10 rung edit, move things from one rung to another and then compile only two or three rungs before finishing it off. this might be required by running process (have certain logic run before other) or to gradually clear up edited logic and remove double vision. putting a lot of energy into little things and gimicks (like showing timer flags on different side of the block and ability to put coils in series instead of parallel) are all fine but it's not like that would make life easier. those are just silly toys that waste time and money (theirs - to develop and debug them, ours to learn how to use them instead of focusing on task and getting job done). give me nice online editing, excel imoport that doesn't require closing of excel (just popup a warning "are you sure? yes no"), show me "energized" compare instructions when they evaluate as true, give me partial downloads etc. stop wasting time on entertainment. maybe i'm not loud enough, more voices wouldn't hurt.... here is the one shot beauty:

I'll bet most of us have something that looks likes this, perhaps not as messy though.

I'm jealous! Which reminds me, I should go raid a few old electrical panels that the electricians just dismantled before everything gets thrown away in the 5S frenzy. Too much sweeping, not enough sorting...

I glad to see others get to play the 5S game.

New yearly goal 54 areas need to be 5s'd in the coming year. Joy oh joy.

I could retire in style with the money spent on 5S.

I'm sure this is a stupid question and I will probably realize it just as soon as I see it but what is 5S?

For any that dosent know what 5S is. I will give a quick rundown. Your translation may be a bit different but the same. The 5S is the first 5 intitials of Japanese words. Collectively they mean the maintaining of an orderly, clean, and efficient work enviroment. 1 Seir = Sift 2 Seiton = Sort 3 Seiso = Sweep 4 Seiketsu = Spic and Span 5 Shootsuke = Self Discipline I have to LOL the 3rd and 4th letters of #5 changed. The oo was an i Edited by Smoke

Ok thanks, thought it would click but I was wrong. Never heard of it quite like that but similar principles