Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul Ked

FX3U-ENET and FX3U-64DP-M

7 posts in this topic

Hi there. I'm about to start programming a system using the FX3U CPU with an ethernet adapter, profibus DP and remote VFD's and I/O and an E910T HMI. Do I need to purchase the GX Configurater DP and FX Configurator EN software packages or, as it is a one-off, can I get away with setting them up manually? I am using GX Developer-FX. Best Regards

The FX-Configurator-EN software comes with GX-Developer-FX, as long as it's 8.25 or newer. It may not have installed in the main install package, but it does come on the CD. As for the Profibus, it's much easier to configure with the configurator software.

Thanks for that. I've found the ENET software but it's another 500.00 for the Profibus configurator.... ROBBERY!

Is it really possible to configure profibus without using Configurator DP? I have it but I didn't like it (well i always complain about this kind of things ), because it can be frustrating and confusing even if one was using it before. I'd rather have all my setup done in the PLC logic with my own comments. Learning curve is about the same but one can see what is going on, upload is possible, supporting person only needs to learn how to use one tool etc. I did find buffer registers for some of the parameters but not all. This works on all kind of cards but I couldn't make it work for Profibus, apparently something get's written to both Profibus card and CPU. At least on Q, I couldn't upload everything and then save on another processor and even downloading process is not exactly straight forward... I was getting errors without hints on possible solution (see samples). A better message would be something like "you need to reset or reboot plc before downloading new configuration". It would be nice to add some built in diagnostic to Configurator DP itself. Getting server up and running just to see if node(s) are talking is a bit too much. One can use Paint for example to make own icons (three little bitmaps 70x40 16color - Device, Diag and SF) but it would be nice to have some default or dummy images to save time for hasty guys.

You definitely need GX DP to download the GSD files for the network. Your downloading problem is because you linked the GX DP & GX IEC Developer via MX Change. But the server wasn’t activated. Diagnostic for the Q is simple just go to the autorefresh setting there you can get BFM information direct into dataregisters without using TO & From instr. These wil give info like (BFM 2112 ...) which nodes are online (BFM 2040 ….2079) comm. Problems. This way you don’t have to start the server. If you go to the BMP dir of your installed package you will find bitmaps which you can use although you normally get them with your GSD file

server wasn't activated and that's absolutely correct. i was activating server only to learn about it's functionality and check on slaves status when I started using profibus on Mitsubishi platform for the first time. this has nothing to do with downloading of DP configuration to PLC. well - at least it shouldn't and i never needed server running to do any work like change or download setup etc. to be honest i really don't like the idea of running server on my machine either. diagnostic of profibus network with Q can be done if one opens PLC programming software and monitors buffer locations. but isn't that too involved? this is what program shoud do, not have someone to open GX Developer, go online, hold user manual in one hand, point finger to selected buffer register with his second hand, use mouse with his third hand to scroll to buffer location like 2113, maybe write it down with his fourth hand, match particular bit with value in another register (node number), switch window to read configuration in Gonfigurator DP to identify node (Alt+Tab can be done with one hand)... cmon, give me a break... i wouldn't call that user friendly. it is ok if one has choosen to do it manually but it is not the same if he has to pay for software, that software installs some other software and wants to run servers on his computer. that is an invasion, abuse,... if i have to pay for software, i expect it to do this (basic configuration and diagnostic) in a snap, without much digging through manuals, running servers, using third software, stare at the raw values, guess what to do because error message doesn't mean anything to anyone including creator. "MX Change not running" is clear enough that one should start it. Now where do i du just that? heck, I googled for it too... And how about "download not complete"? I guess this is clear too but what to try next? All it was wrong is that configuration was downloaded once already and PLC wasn't reset. After reset, one could download changes without problem as many times as needed. Well at least that was case with me. I'm always intersted in good error messages that happen to others. seriously, how complicated this should be? it's just a fieldbus like any other: - wire some nodes into a bus type network (start with one of two to get started and familiar with process), - assign unique addresses and make sure master is zero, - don't forget to terminate - download and import configuration files into library for devices that are not already there, - drop wired devices from library to a new configuration sheet - ensure that each has some i/o mapped and tell it what node number to use (same as wired) - download and run, application should change color of icon depending on node status (red and green or whatever) Someone botched here... (unfortunately it happens all the time with all kinds of software products)

I have a profibus communication using FX3U-64DP-M to access a profibus slave the only thing I want is to monitor the slave outputs can I use it as one way communication ?