Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bob1371

Starting a new job

13 posts in this topic

Hello, Today I accepted a position with another company. The section I will be working is all Siemens Plc's. I have worked with Allen Bradley and Mitsubishi only. I have a couple of weeks before I start and just wanted to view some sample programs. I checked Siemens web site for demo software but found none. Can anyone post a couple of samples in pdf that I can view and see how things are structured. thanks, Bob

There is some in the Siemens downloads: http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?dlcategory=31

thanks, I did check those out but I dont have the program software so cant view them. I did download the manuals and the 1 & 2 hour primers. Bob

Can someone download a few of the good programs and convert them to PDF for Bob? I don't have the software either.

Get a copy of STEP7. The samples and online help will help to get started with S7. If you cannot afford a full STEP7, then contact Siemens and get a demo that will run for 14 days (you cannot download it, you have to contact Siemens). That, or get STEP7 LITE which has been released for free download (!): http://support.automation.siemens.com/WW/l...amp;caller=view You have to register with Siemens support, but that is not more difficult than registering with MrPLC.com. STEP7 LITE is similar to the BASIS version, only the configuration of hardware is different (much simpler), and you cannot configure any networking connections, that be to i/o via Profibus or to higher level data partners. You can go online for programming a CPU though. I think that there are sample projects even with STEP7 LITE. Notice: You cannot directly exchange projects between LITE and BASIS, but all the language elements are the same, so it is quite OK for studying S7. I shall also make some PDF files of some of the sample projects and put them in the downloads section (if I can find it).

OK, I have downloaded 2 PDF files. One is with simple classical ladder programming. The other is with "reusable code". You can start without reusable code, but if you are looking at programs made by others, you will have to understand the principles of it.

Bob, Are they S7 or S5?, and are they ladder or STL?, I may have some but need the details of what you want. I don't have any analog, but I have some counters JesperMP, Were are the PDF's? I don't see any?

Thanks to all for the help and info. They are S7's in Ladder. I will download the lite version to play with here. When I get on the job I will get laptop and all progams that will be needed. Just lookin to get a little head start. Thanks, Bob Edited by bob1371

geniousintraining. Use the "download code" link at the top of this page. Select "Siemens". Select "PLC Sample Programs". You should the see 2 files starting with "PDF:..". Click on either of them, and you will get a screen whit a button "Download Now". This will download the selected file to your PC. Edited by JesperMP

The one and two hour primers are for the S7-200 bricks, not the S7-300 PLCs. If you're going to work with those, Step 7 Micro/Win is the package. A demo package is available for download at www.siemens.com/s7200 if you want to download it. If you're looking at S7-300, you can get that free copy of Step 7 Lite as mentioned above.

Well on my last day at my present job after saying all my goodbye's I was met in the parking lot by the HR Manager and the plant VP with a very generous offer to stay. Looks like I will not be messing with the siemens stuff for now. I have used the samples provided and the demo software and can see that although it has a learning curve it is a very powerful system. Thanks again for all the input and info. Bob

Thats pretty rough on the company that offered you the job.

Yes and I did hate doing it. I talked to thier HR person and explained things but im sure it didn't help much. I never approached my present company about staying as I felt they would never be able to match the other offer I had. With the other job offer I was looking at moving or driving 65 miles each way. That also figured into staying with present company. I hate these decisions but it comes down to whats best for me and my family. Bob