Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
waterboy

Whats your realistic Drawing program

10 posts in this topic

I want to take my SCADA system to the next level. Instead of simple polygons for structures, I want to make pictures of Tanks, Buttons, Motors and Valves that look realistic while not being huge in file size. I am fluent in CorelDraw and I'm just aware of Blender as a raytracing program. But before I start climbing that learning curve I thought it prudent to ask others who have " been there and done that". I don't expect to make photorealistic images but close enough to the real item that the operators can tell at a glance what the object is. It would really be great to have the program take a photo and create the image but I may be a century too early for that kind of processing power. (Beam me up Scotty) SO I ask, what programs to you all use to make your higher quality images? Thank you all for your support.

I tried Blender and, while it was fascinating as a 3D modeling app, it was difficult to actually produce icon images that could be used in instrumentation diagrams. High quality image and photo manipulation software is available from Washington State University. It's called Paint.net and it's free at http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net We use it to create and maintain icons, bezels and backgrounds for the SeeThru HMI.

Which SCADA package are you using? Certain manufacturers (I am most familiar with Allen-Bradley) may provide pre-canned graphics of tanks, motors, and other process control devices. If you have the time to design your own, that's fantastic, but I believe in reduce, reuse recycle when possible... Rick

I'm using Intellution iFix 4.0. I have the time and the boss likes the fancy stuff. Looks good to the tourists. I'm just new at this so I'm still looking for techniques.

Might i suggest that you look for a program called "Reichard Symbol Factory", it would have all of the fancy pics already done...look into it....

I know about them and the activeX type controls are what I want to create. I don't want to buy something prebuilt, I want the experience of building them so I can later say " these are a lot of work, why don't I buy these things!"

The ones i was thinking about were the basic symbols not the active x ones... i would suggest that you geat a free copy of the software for automation direct screens, they use the lates symbol set, you can see what is availble... I generally don't like re-inventing the wheel.. One can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.. Have fun, which ever way you choose to go..

I know you are probably right from your years of experience. I have no doubt of that. But I'm new to this, coming from a web application background where the user experience is everything. So this at worst will be an educational experience, and at best the birth of another symbols supplier. But it will be fun in any case. Thanks for the tip about automation direct, I'll go wandering round there.

If you're fluent in Corel Draw, then you will love Xara Xtreme. Transparencies, graduated fills .... the list is endless.

I've had good luck with Inkscape, its an open source (read: free) vector drawing program, like Illustrator.