Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smoke

CLX Ethernet link status

18 posts in this topic

Does any one know if there is a system bit or so other way to know if there is an good Ethernet link. The display on the card shows link lost when the cable is not connected. Our operators have a few machines that they move on and off the lines. I would like to create a message for them if the Ethernet cable is not connected. This is for CLX 5555 and up. Thanks

THIS link may be of some help to you...

Are you saying that you want some overall plant system to detect that the machine has been unplugged, or that you want the machine's controller itself to indicate that it has been unplugged ? If it's the local machine that you're looking for an indication on, then the operator interface or other indication is going to have to not use the Ethernet port, of course. I use the "@IsPresent" pre-defined item in RSLinx Classic and RSLinx Enterprise to indicate on a supervisory system that a controller is connected and available to serve data. To get a controller to report or recognize it's own connection to a supervisory system (not to I/O connections) you need to read the Ethernet status objects inside the 1756-ENBT module. I'd have to look up those definitions.

This is what I am looking for. I had already been to the link TechJunki gave to me and it is used to see if the card is communicating with the CPU. I have been all over the Knowledgebase and cant find the solution. Thanks for any help.

I'm just replying to subscribe to the thread. I'm interested in seeing what you come back with Ken.

After sniffing out what objects RSLogix 5000 was requesting from the controller when I displayed the Module Properties for a 1756-ENBT, I looked in the EtherNet/IP Specification and found what I wanted in the Object Library. Object Class 0xF6 is the Ethernet Link Object, and Attribute 2 is the Interface Flags for the Ethernet Link object instance (that is, the 1756-ENBT module). Send a "Get Attribute Single" message to Class 0xF6, Instance 1, Attribute 2 and you will get a 4-byte response that includes the following information: Table 5-4.3 Interface Flags Bit(s): Called: Definition 0 Link Status Indicates whether or not the Ethernet 802.3 communications interface is connected to an active network. 0 indicates an inactive link; 1 indicates an active link. The determination of link status is implementation specific. In some cases devices can tell whether the link is active via hardware/driver support. In other cases, the device may only be able to tell whether the link is active by the presence of incoming packets. 1 Half/Full Duplex Indicates the duplex mode currently in use. 0 indicates the interface is running half duplex; 1 indicates full duplex. Note that if the Link Status flag is 0, then the value of the Half/Full Duplex flag is indeterminate. 2-4 Negotiation Status Indicates the status of link auto-negotiation 0 = Auto-negotiation in progress. 1 = Auto-negotiation and speed detection failed. Using default values for speed and duplex. Default values are product-dependent; recommended defaults are 10Mbps and half duplex. 2 = Auto negotiation failed but detected speed. Duplex was defaulted. Default value is product-dependent; recommended default is half duplex. 3 = Successfully negotiated speed and duplex. 4 = Auto-negotiation not attempted. Forced speed and duplex. 5 Manual Setting Requires Reset 0 indicates the interface can activate changes to link parameters (auto-negotiate, duplex mode, interface speed) automatically. 1 indicates the device requires a Reset service be issued to its Identity Object in order for the changes to take effect. 6 Local Hardware Fault 0 indicates the interface detects no local hardware fault; 1 indicates a local hardware fault is detected. The meaning of this is product-specific. Examples are an AUI/MII interface detects no transceiver attached or a radio modem detects no antennae attached. In contrast to the soft, possible self-correcting nature of the Link Status being inactive, this is assumed a hard-fault requiring user intervention. 7-31 Reserved Shall be set to zero

I placed an RSLogix 5000 example and the applicable page from the EtherNet/IP specification in the Sample Code section, with the name "Ethernet Link Status". http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=600

Just some additional info to Ken's digging: Every time you need info like this start with this technote: A41855432 - CIP Messaging Reference It is mostly up to date and RA support keeps it updated. Next, take a look at Ethernet section: Link status info is in this technote: Q7753033 - Obtaining the Baud Rate and Duplex mode of a 1756-ENBT via a CIP Generic Message Diagnostic counters and media counters found here: Q16739464 - Obtaining the Diagnostic Counters in a 1756-ENBT Q111833722 - Obtaining the Media Counters in a 1756-ENBT Edited by Contr_Conn

Ken Thanks for the digging. I cant get my MSG to configure right. Will you re-post your logic with version 13. We are not going to upgrade until version 16. Thanks for the added info Contr_Conn. I added the link to my favorites. Thanks Edited by Smoke

Ok so I thought this would be simple, I have version 13 and 15 and I know that I have downgraded programs from 15 to 13 before but I can't get it to work now. I can open version 13 files, version 15 files, convert version 13 files to version 15. I just can't seem to remember how to take version 15 files back to a version 13 file. It has been a long day, am I missing something simple? Under change controller if I am in version 13 I have a choice of version 13 or 15. If I am in version 15 I only have a choice of version 15

Not that simple to go back, in some cases it is not possible at all... Anyway, try this: Open project in v15, export as L5K Open L5K file in Notepad - DO NOT USE WORDPAD or WORD ! find line IE_VER := 2.6 and change it to 2.4 (ver 13). Save Import back and select ver 13 during the import. Use 2.3 for ver 12 In some cases import is not possible: Motion, module profile changes etc. and the only way is to open 2 projects side-by-side and use copy and paste...

Sorry fellows, I am experiencing withdrawl symptoms from my work PC... it's being reborn as a D610 in Milwaukee right now. When I get it back I'll re-post, but you should have no difficulty just using the Class/Instance/Attribute data above to get the data from the 1756-ENBT card, then just monitor the first bit of the DINT value.

Ok, thanks Contr_Conn. This should be Ken's sample in version 13. I did not test it Ethernet_StatusV13.ACD

Thaks TW I have my logic programmed the same but for good measure I downloaded Kens with the same result I get with mine. When I unplug the Ethernet cable bit 0 remains a 1. Retraction when I downloaded I lost the MSG config due to different rack setup. The logic works great. Thanks everyone.

Off the topic but close to it I am using a Contrologix processor and Either/IP 1756-ENBT module to communicate to 35 fixed IP PF70 drives and Softstarts. What I am looking for is the fault word or bit indicating that a particular device is not communicating. Normally there is a diagnostic word or words that would set a bit based on the node address or station address or remote I/O address. However I have been unable to locate that using the 1756-ENBT module tags. Is this something I am going to need to rely on the individual drive or softstart, or is there a scanner diagnostic word I can monitor. Thanks

Because the 1756-ENBT works as a bridge and not as a "scanner", there's no module-defined "scanlist" or "rack fault" function. You have these in RIO scanners and DeviceNet scanners, but on ControlNet and EtherNet/IP you need to determine the status of a Connection directly from the controller. I use a GSV instruction to examine the I/O connection status of each node on my network; usually to avoid burdening the controller too much with them I put them in a periodic task or run a subroutine with a timer. RA Knowledgebase Article 24162 has some recommendations for performing this function, as well as a sample on the Samplecode.rockwellautomation.com site that is specifically for ControlNet, but works for anything in the I/O tree. http://samplecode.rockwellautomation.com/i....hcst?dID=54348 Do yourself a favor and become fanatical about routing the Ethernet cable away from 480V source or output leads from the drives. 100% of the EtherNet/IP drives installations I've diagnosed with trouble found Ethernet cables in close proximity to main power.

I am using Cat5e shielded plenum cable, din rail mounted RF shielded Managed Switches, and shielded RJ45 connectors, and using multi-mode fiber for connections between long runs. I will be close to 460vac 3pH maybe only twelve inches away, so I am using as much precaution as I can. Thanks for the info, I was kinda afraid I would need a message instruction to each adapter.

I offer up for evaluation this jpeg snippet I believe this will work to extract the Entrystatus data for the EtherIP module Should this be on a timer to reduce UCB usage?