Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fcflores1

RSView Studio Edition ?

8 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm currently having trouble communicating with a Panel View plus 700 HMI. I am currently using RSView Studio Machine Edition and Rs-linx classic. I currently do not own RSView ME Station or enterprise. Do you any of you have any tips to get me online ASAP? Thank you....!

RSView Studio only uses RSLinx Enterprise communication drivers to download runtime files to PV+ terminals. RSLinx Enterprise is configured entirely within RSView Studio, in the Communications tab. RSLinx Classic can be used as a data server, but has no role in downloading to the PanelView Plus terminal. In fact, sometimes Classic and Enterprise will contend for the same hardware resource (like the serial port) which confuses some inexperienced users. Call your Rockwell Automation distributor and see if you can get them to run through the fundamentals of how RSView Studio and RSLinx Enterprise work together. There is also an extensive online documentation set included with RSView Studio.

Also what to you mean by "get me online". You don't go online with the Panelview Plus. You upload and download. If you don't have the origional file the .mer fire that you will upload will not be editable

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you "don't have RSLinx Enterprise." If you purchased RSView Machine Edition, you should also have received RSLinx Enterprise. Or, is it that you purchased RSView Studio for SE (which works with both ME and SE). If that's the case, RSLinx Enterprise is not sold with SE directly. Rick

Ok this is what I need. I currently installed RSView Studio Machine Edition On my lap top and I want to modify an existing program that is on an existing machine. I recently found out that I will need an Ethernet crossover cable to communicate to the Panel views. As of now I have the latest program on disc and nothing in studio. So how do you guys go from disk to making modifications and then to downloading a project to a panel view. Just this morning I had someone come in and do a simple change for me but I don’t remember all the steps he did to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.......

This procedure should help you *if* the file on the disk is saved using the .apa extension: 1. Open RSView Studio. (At this point, it does not matter if you create a new application or open an existing application). 2. From the Tools menu, select "Application Manager." 3. Follow the steps in the wizard to Restore the application (loaded on the disk) to your machine. 4. Open the restored application and make your changes. 5. Once the changes have been made, create a runtime (.mer) file by, from the Tools menu, selecting "Create Runtime File" (I believe that's what it is called, I don't have Studio for ME open right now). 6. IMPORTANT: Be sure to upload a copy of the existing application to your computer. That way, if something happens with the new file, you can return to the existing application. 7. Using the crossover cable, download the new .mer file to the PanelView(s). If you have any further questions, let us know. Rick

Thanks…….Rick Well let me go through the steps and correct me if I am wrong. 1. Go to documents and settings 2. Select RSView Enterprise folder 3. Select ME folder 4. Select Archives Folder 5. Copy File from any given location and Paste in Archives folder. (Note: must have an .Apa extension.) 6. Go to tools and select Application Manger 7. Select Machine Edition 8. Select Restore Application 9. Find Achieves And select Proper .Apa file 10. Create file name 11. Go to folder icon 12. Select File 13. Choose language 14. Open 15. Make desired changes 16. Note: Should I save at this time? 17. Select Application on tool bar 18. Select Create Runtime Application 19. Go to Tools and select Transfer Utility or select Transfer Utility Icon 20. Select download 21. Select source file 22. Select Download As, Run Application and Replace communication box. 23. Make sure your plugged in 24. Hit DOWNLOAD I have a few more questions. 1. Where does one obtain firmware for A/B HMI's? 2. When using the Ethernet crossover cable; is there a way to communicate without adjusting your settings from machine to machine. I.P addressing???? Thanks for all the help!!! Frank

I've looked at your steps, and it looks like it should work as is. For future reference, Steps 1-5 could be optional if you have the .apa file on a disk, thumb drive, etc. When you run the Application Manager wizard and restore a file, RSView Studio does automatically look to see if the file you want is in the Archives folder. However, you can browse to any location on your computer to find the .apa file. Also, regarding your question to save, that's always a good idea. (My motto: Save Early, Save Often!). Finally, in response to your other questions: 1. You can download PanelView Plus firmware from this site: http://support.rockwellautomation.com/firmware.asp If you have not registered for access to the Rockwell support Web site, you will need to do this. The Web site registration just takes a few seconds, and it is free to anyone who wants to register. In order to physically download the firmware to your PC, you will need your software serial number and the name of the person to whom the software is registered. Also, you need a valid support contract for this download. 2. It's been a while since I've downloaded a program to a PanelView Plus, but I believe that if you are downloading the same program to multiple PanelView Plus terminals, you will have to make a slight modification in RSView Studio software for each terminal. With the RSView application open, click on the Communications tab at the bottom of the screen. Under the Ethernet network, you should see an icon for a PanelView Plus, and it should have the IP address of the terminal you are connected to (for example, 100.100.100.1). If you are connected to a different terminal (i.e., 100.100.100.2), you can then add a new PanelView Plus terminal (with that IP address) to the communications tree). Then you should be able to download the same application to the second terminal. Let me know if you need further clarification. Rick