Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atanas

OPC Server + computer to build a HMI

11 posts in this topic

I need some advice here. A former employer of mine wants to find an alternative of the touch screens they use now- PanelMate power pro from Cuttler Hammer, model # 1775T PMPP 1700. I am looking at the possibility to use OPC Server from Automatedsolutions + computer and build a HMI. My questions: Has anybody tried to build a HMI with this product? What is the response time in this case? Would the communication speed be comparable with that of a touch screen? Thanks

Hi atanas. You did not state which PLC or which network type you are using. But still I believe that OPC is quite OK for making a HMI application. You need to choose some kind of programming package + interface to OPC. There are many to choose from. If you want to program in Delphi, then "dOPC" from www.kassl.de is not expensive and is recommended by many. There is also "OPCware" for VB, C# and other programming languages. And there are many others.

I use VB.net with OPC and Automationdirect PLCs. It works fine speed wise and everything. Except for reliability you're much better off with a dedicated HMI such as what you are trying to replace. They are also a little easier to program and maintain. The reason I even use a computer is for databasing. If I didn't need that I would be using an industrial HMI. Perhaps you should list WHY you want to switch to a different HMI. Then you will get more help I think. Edited by GerryM

Thank you for the replies! You answered my questions. The machines are built on Allen Bradley SLC500. The reason we are looking for other solutions is that the touch screens come with considerable prize- a new computer + OPC software would be twice cheaper than one touchscreen. Most of the important controls are doubled with buttons and switches but there are a lot of parameters to set and visualize. I have (though limited) experience with Visual C++ and perhaps if we decide to follow this way I will build on this platform. Once again- thanks! Further suggestions are welcome- alternative touchscreens perhaps?

I've used Advantech Touchscreens with pretty good success. Also am currently using A-B VersaView touchscreen computers which is nice for a panel since it isn't much bigger than a regular touchscreen, but has the hard drive and everything else a normal PC has included.

Depends what you mean by "CHEAPER" Yes the upfront costs of a PC and custom developed front-end are usually less costly than an Industrial HMI. However wait till you need to repair/update the application or hardware. Operating System has changed requiring software rewrite. Original software not available or company out of business. Comm. drivers not working - rewrite or purchase new. With the rapid technological changes in PC's and software you will be lucky to avoid MAJOR COSTS later on. Listen to GerryM Unless you need to collect and manipulate large amounts of data stick with an Industrial HMI. The product life cycle of industrial HMI's is around 5 years vs. 18months for PC's. In most cases manufacturers of industrial HMI's will nearly always provide backward compatability whan they release new hardware platforms.

I aggree that to save a few bucks is not a good enough reason to make a homegrown HMI. I also doubt that you will save anything, both short term and long term. The typical reason for making a PC based HMI is that some kind of database interaction is required, like GerryM stated allready.

OK, we’ve been convinced and will stay with the touchscreens. Thank you for your input! Certainly there is a good reason for the industrial HMIs’ existence. It is only that I feel the other option is worth exploring. In terms of reliability the computers went long way. May be juuust one little step furder…

Have you tried using an embedded PC. I see that there is a brand named "TOYOPUC" and it runs on Windows XP Embedded. The application response time is great and its hardware is rigid. I had a look to see who makes this screenbut can not find it anywhere. Will you be writing your own custom apps???? If so, you simply have to install the .NET framework and you can "port" your normal Windows code to this platform. Good luck

Toyopuc is a brand of TOYODA. These panels and PLCs are commonly used in Toyota. Guess why? My knowledge in Toyopuc is not very deep, i wrote a plc program that communicates with toyopuc over ethernet. http://www.toyoda-kouki.co.jp/en/mechatro/toyopuc/tymain.htm

Still, a decent PLC. Toyota South Africa has just built a new paint shop and all they used were these Toyopuc PLC's and HMI's