Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zygmunt

Flow Charts to Ladder Logic

6 posts in this topic

Let us say design flow charts and convert them to regular ladder logic. The major problem for any LL is a proper documentation. Mostly programmers think that a LL is a documentation - but I think only for a creator of this LL. My idea is to start process of design with flow charts. Then convert them to LL and test. Let us say our source code is a flow chart. I think that I know how to convert Visio flow charts to OMRON CJ LL. Please, let me know what you think about my idea.

We have programmers at our plant that have been doing this for years. In fact they do this for all types of programming. Assembly, Basic, PLC, etc... I'm not very good at flowcharting myself but I will make crude charts for various processes to keep my head straight while programming. Some of the other guys have made well documented charts to keep with the machine's documentation. This is good information in the event a modification to process is needed. Are you talking about software to automatically convert? Or doing this manually? The conversions I speak of are done manually. Their have been many disscusions on using higher level languages for programming PLC's. Many of these discussions start with people asking for a C or Basic compliers for PLC's.

Yes, I think about a utility which based on Visio file x.vsd can produce for you a LL code. Presently I am testing this type application for OMRON CJ1G and works perfect. You can make a small correction to your flow chart and your LL is updated automatically.

Sounds amazing.... Please keep us informed on your progress

I agree! I am sure there are many that will be interested in it. As I've mentioned, many ask for higher level languages to program with.

Presently I am using Visio x.vsd file to create x.txt file which I can copy and paste into FB - Structured Text. In LL the FB has an input channel for transitions and an output channel for actual states. LL defines all transitions and real outputs and interconnections between Fbs - what can be done building another flow chart -> FB. This approach should works for any PLC with FB!