Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moltra

RSLinx Classic 2.5 quit connecting

20 posts in this topic

I have been running RSLinx Classic 2.5 for about 6 months on a IBM Thinkpad running XP SP2. For some reason I cannot connect to my Enternet/IP network using RSLinx Classic anymore. I have reinstalled RSLinx 3 times now and still cannot see the devices on the Enternet/IP Network. Any help would be appreciated

Let's start with the basics. Can you ping any of the devices? Do you have any type of firewalls or internet security?

Windows Firewall disabled Was running Microsoft Defender it is now disable and going to try and reinstall RSLinx again

Based on moltra's post here at PLCS.net, he has also recently installed KEPServer communications software on the PC in question. My WAG to this piece of information was that perhaps KEPServer changed firewall settings, but that may not be the case if the firewall is disabled... Rick

I started the driver for Internet Drivers and input all ip addresses and I can see them all. But I still cannot connect via the Ethernet/IP Driver.

Run the RsLinx Windows Firewall Configuration Utility again. You say you can't get online with the Ethernet/IP driver. What about the Ethernet driver? When you say you can see them do you mean you can see them in RsLinx without a red X through them? If you can see them goto Comms, Who Active Go Online in RsLogix 500.

I can connect to the PF 700 drives Via DriveExplorer using Ethernet device driver. No red x's. The Enternet/IP driver does not even show them there anymore. (reinstalled)

What about running the RsLinx Windows Firewall Configuration Utility again? What firewalls and internet security software do you have? You can ping the devices, correct?

Windows Firewall disabled. NO other firewalls installed

Come on Moltra. You run a forum . You know we need details to help you. I asked you 3 question. Atleast give me 3 answers. And security software includes more than firewalls, I'm trying to help you but you've got to give me a little more. Another thing, delete the devices in the RsWho window and see if they pop back up. Right click them and see if you can go to device properties. When you reinstalled, did you use the backup/restore or enter everything again?

Because the "Ethernet Devices" driver has a list of IP addresses to browse, RSWho begins by attempting a TCP connection to each device. It starts by using Port 2222 (classic A-B Ethernet) and if the device answers back with a "port closed" reply three times, it tries using Port 44818 (EtherNet/IP) to make the connection. If neither of those works, you'll get a question mark. If no reply of any kind is heard, you'll get a question mark with a red X. The EtherNet/IP driver needs to discover the devices on the subnet that are EtherNet/IP capable, so it sends out a "List Services" EtherNet/IP function code on UDP Port 44818, addressed to the subnet node 255. Every device that supports EtherNet/IP will reply back and RSWho will rapidly display the devices that have replied as soon as it sends and receives messages that identify the device type and name. It's that broadcast message that many firewalls (XPSP2 firewall most notably) will prevent from going out onto the network, or block the replies. I've seen this with some VPN software too. Because I'm a network geek, I troubleshoot this sort of thing by connecting the troublesome PC to a 10/100MB Ethernet hub and plug in my Ethereal network analyzer on another port. If I see the EtherNet/IP browse traffic coming out and being replied to, I know the problem is somewhere in the firewall or other network security measures inside the PC.

HERE is Ethereal's website

Thanks I download the software and installed it. Do I need a second computer to test and see if the Enternet/IP is going out. Or can I do it all on one computer?

Put it on the computer that you are trying to browse RsLinx and connect with

I tried that and RSLinx sends out the "list services" message to subnet 255.255.255.255, but I get nothing back from the devices.

I do troubleshooting like this with a separate PC and an Ethernet hub (not a switch) so I can see the outbound traffic from the PC and the reply traffic from the controllers. If RSLinx is sending out the broadcast "list services" but the controllers are not responding, then there is something wrong in the downstream media or routers or switches. If the controllers are seen to respond, the problem is in the PC itself, most likely with a firewall or VPN feature that you are not familiar with.

I have full control over the laptop I am using. I install all the software. I know that the devices are working properly because I can see them in RSlinx installed on another machine connected to the company LAN the same way laptop is.

We aren't saying you don't. How about internet security software and virus protection?

Virus protection is Norton AV corp 8.0 Firewall on Company lan for internet access.

figured it out. It was check point vpn. Even tho it was in manual in services. I still was starting something locking out RSlinx. Thanks for all your help guys.