Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pete3589

Saving Values to Compact Flash without Programming software

5 posts in this topic

I was recently talking to a local Rockwell rep and asked about future plans for the use of the Compact Flash slot in the CompactLogix line of processors. As most know, you can download a project to a CompactLogix processor from the flash card (by removing the battery, therefore erasing the program, and then starting back up with the card in the slot via corrupt memory). However, to the best of my knowledge, there is no way to save a file to flash without the use of Logix 5000. When the machines that my PLC's are on are started up, there is rarely a controls person there with software for uploading and downloading. For this reason, there are quite a few options that are changeable by the operator through the panelview, so no software is needed. The main program is given to the customer on flash in case they lose the program, however, many changes are usually made to the tags from the HMI by the tech that starts up the machine. These changes are not reflected on the flash since there is (to the best of my knowledge) no way to upload to compact flash without Logix 5000. If the program is lost, they are back to square one, and someone must reconfigure the program to their settings. Interestingly, the rep said there was a way to upload taglist information to the compact flash card without the use of Logix 5000 (i.e. something that could be programmed in, then accessed by a button on the HMI). Unfortunately, we never got back to the topic. Does anyone have any idea on how to do this? I would imagine it would involve GSV's and SSV's in such a way to activate the flash. Since it can be done via Logix 5000 (so we know the compact flash drive can read and write), i would imagine there must be some kind of series of commands that would allow a user to do this from the HMI. Any input would be appreciated.

CompactFlash data save/restore application was originally released for ver 13, but was removed last year due to some data corruption. New application and FW support will be available in ver 16.

I have been under the same impression, although I have not done it as of yet. I was looking at a project that the customer would be able to swap out the cards periodically to ensure that the latest (in my case) batch information was backed up. I planned on having the PLC save the info to it automatically at a specified time. Per my Rep, I was told that it is possible without any software, and that the info was in csv format (if I remember right). I could be wrong since I never got to the point to do it, but that is what I was told.

Your going to have to wait until version 16 but while your waiting read THIS. I thought it was interesting. Apparently there is a limit to the number of times you can write to a compact flash card. Still many many writes but don't go crazy backing up every minute

Your Rep is off a little, data written in binary format, not in CSV. In general since ver 13 controllers can write to CF form the application, no software required, but since it was found that this can cause a data corruption, this application was removed. New application and FW was originally developed for L6x ver 15 only, no compactlogix, but it was decided to release it for ver 16 for all plcs.