Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris Elston

DELL Mogul? Laptop replacement?

17 posts in this topic

You guys seen this beast? link Looks pretty sweet, I don't know if I would lug it everyday though....

I'm affraid I won't be doing much work once I get my hands on of of those...

Afraid all I can do is dream. That's nice

it's inspiron - so no RS232 (which seam to be loosing on significance every day anyway) 20" display, 8 speakers???? is this still considered laptop? (anyone remember schlepptop?)

And I thought I was years out in my computer in THIS post. This thing isn't that far off of it

Been eyeing the XPS gaming Systems ever since they hit the market. Just can't bring myself to spend 3 to 8 K for a four year investment. When a $500 Inspiron B130 will do the job for 99% of what i do.

Personally, I'm not really fond of widescreen laptops. The aspect ratio seems odd to me for computer work. My old Dell Inspirion 8100 with 1600x1200 display still has the nicest display I've seen on a notebook. It's almost the same resolution as that new 20" widescreen display for DVDs in a letterbox format. Sure, it's a smaller screen, but there's only one person looking at it anyway. I'd like a faster processor, but that's my only complaint on a 5 year old notebook.

The widescreen took me a while to get used to but I like it now. Have a hard time going back to a normal screen. My biggest complaint is the glossy screens they have now. Light glare is awful depending on where you are.

I like the widescreen for PLC programming....no RUNG wrapping!!! It just goes and goes and goes...

A related to note to widescreen - has anyone tried dual screen. By this I mean two monitors attached to the same plc. I usually put the PLC logic on screen 1 and the Autocad wiring drawing or excel spreadsheet of tags on the second monitor. Real cool. Try ity someitme if you haven't. Just a word of caution. Some AB programmig products don't do well on monitor 2 keep ab programming software to monitor 1 for best results.

Been using the two screen thing for years, at work and at home. Turned my mechanical guys on to it here at work, now everybody here has two monitors. Just need a monitor that will fit in the case with the laptop.

I agree I have a Sony Vaio. I love the wide screen but that glossy screen can somtimes be a killer. Although it is nice to see when people try to sneak up on you.

Very true

What !? Now I gotta add a "Boss Watch / Panic" button on MrPLC? Don't want your boss sneaking up on you? Shame on you....

It's not the boss that bothers me. It is those long hours of staring at the computer screen trying to find the problem in your program and the guy, who usually doesn't even have anything to do with the machine, come up behind you looking over your shoulder and starts asking 100 questions

Mine neither. Most of what I do on MrPLC "is" my job anyway...my boss posts in here too.

MrPlc is a great learning tool. If I can pop over here and learn something it is well worth it. Boss would be foolish not to let me, free training