Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frank.raymond

CJ1 & CLK21

30 posts in this topic

Hello all, Well I'm finally moving to networking PLC's. I've networked AB's using DH+ and Modicon's using ModBus+. Any direction or tips I need to know for getting started? I need to pass a couple of reg values from one PLC to another (CJ1's). I looked at the tutorial's and downloads but didn't see anything that caught my eye. I just downloaded the CLK21 operation manual from knowledge database. Any help as always will certainly be appreciated.

The easiest way... Allocate the node numbers between 1-31. Allocate some memory for the data exchange (Assuming you have 2 PLC;s then lets make one node 1 and the other Node 2.) Allocate say 100 words of Data memory starting at D1000. Allocate say 10 words of HR memory starting at H0 That means that Node 1 can write to D1000-D1099 and Node 2 will have these values automaically transfered to Node 2 D1000-D1099. And if you set up using the Auto data link setup then Node 2 will have a write area of D1100-D1199 which is reflected in the read area for Node 1 being D1100-D1199. CX_PROGRAMMER Go online with the PLC. Then start Network Settings, Once started goto Tools menu then Start data link it will prompt you to select network..select controller link. In the data link component dialog now up select Online - Automatic data link setup... Set your Memory areas, ie word and bit addresable words as per above D1000 and H0 with the respective sizes, set the nodes to partipate in this config, transfer the settings down and start data link..vola its done...

Per chance do you have some sample code I could review for a better understanding?

Apparently control link is already being used on this project. How can I determine which registers are being used? Once I go on line will this info become obvious? Per your example how is D1100-D1199 set up in Automatic link (i.e. how did it increment to D1100). Also where does H0 come into play in the example? I'm slowly getting there. Thanks for your patience... Wait there's more. In order for the PLC's to share addresses I need to ensure the addresses are not already in use in the other PLC and vice-versa. Are the addresses that are written to in PLC-A always the same addresses in PLC-B? Something outside of controller link... The various memory registers CIO, A, T, C, IR, etc. DO they have particular functions. The T&C are timers and counters. CIO appears to be the various IO modules. The rest (E0,E1,E2, TK, H,W,IR,DR) I haven't a clue unless they're similiar to AB's B's, N's and such. Any light will be helpful. Edited by frank.raymond

AB - Omron T4:0 = Txxxx = Timer (Most Omron timers are equiv to TON) Omron timers count down to zero T4:0/DN = Txxxx ie in omron just allocate the timer number to a contact to get the equiv dn bit The timer base of Omron timers is 0.1 of a second (not selectable) although there are high speed timers also in TIMH... T4:0/EN = well just fire an internal bit in parrellel to the timer to get an enable bit T4:0/TT = use above created bit in EN in serise with a NOT Txxx bit. Setvalues SV of a timer in Omron can be hard coded in the timer usually with a #0-9999 or &0-65535 value de[pending on the timer instruction If i wanted to copy the PV (present value of a timer) you could simply use a MOV T000 D000 for example. Counters are similar to timers in there usage....agiain they count down. On the other areas of memory.... AB gets you to allocate files and there sizes....this basically eats into your available memory and is shared with program...In Omron if the PLC says you get 10K user program and 32K datamemory then you get the 10k user program memory for your program and the 32k of data memory..... The equiv to your AB N7 memiry in AB would be Data memory, however in datamemory i can store values that represent unsigned integers (0-65535), signed integers (-32678 - +32678), Long integers (2 words occupied), floating point (two words occupied), ASCII codes/characters....it dont; matter....Just need to be careful when using instrctions that require a double word for example a floating point number of a divsion instruction which might put a quotient in one word and the remaindrer in another,,,, You are righ in assuming CIO as physically inputs and outputs however the addresses that are not used for phyical IO can be used as internal words...You roughly have 6000 bits for this... E is like data memory. H is holding relays....like data memory and like CIO it is automatically memory retentive. W is a new area for CJ/CS1 etc PLC known as work area - another area that can be used as internal work bits/words i think u have 512 words avail for this (512 * 16 bits) these are non retentive. IR and DR are advanced pointer instructions prob equive to S24 reg in AB but a lot more availble and more flexible....There was a thread i believe on indirect addressing on this topic .... Before answering any more i will upload the manual on CX-integrator which comes with CXprog V6 and above, it is 9 meg. I will see if i can cut it down a bit.... Actually - if you installed CX-One have a look under CX-Integrator the manual should be there, if not let me know and i can upload it if you require

I suggest you use this manual in setting up your CLK network. Especially have a look at Section 5 on how to set up data links. W309-E1-08 Controller Link Units OPERATION MANUAL @ MrPLC.com

Just a suggestion, check manual # W339. This is the Operation Manual for the CS1/CJ1 product. Section 9 covers the "Memory Map" for the plc. This may help to explain the different memory areas and their function. Please post any questions. I know sometimes it is helpful to be able to read the information.

GT, I think you mean W393. W393-E1-08 SYSMAC CJ Series Operation Manual@ MrPLC.com

Yes the W393 will work also. Old habit, just use to the CS1 manual numbers (W339 Op and W340 Programming). Tough to teach an old dog new numbers.

Well, the dog can't be that old as CS1 was introduced only 6 years ago

The manuals pointed out above i beleieve that he already has. However i believe that it is also nice to look at the software manual that shows how to setup the data links with software... If you have CX-One and have installed CX-Prog then more then likely CX-Integrator has been installed as well. Navigating through the start menu to Omron -> Cx-One -> Cx integrator you should be able to see the link to the manual. The CX-Integrator manual is W445-E1-2. There is a neat section on Controller link setup... BTW are you friendly with your local Omron reps....Here in Oz they are quite willing to help out with technical matters on site such as what you are going through, and generally this would be free of charge....IMHO it always helps to have some one actually showing you the ropes some times.... Keep throwing your questions up here though if you want...there are a lot of us guys on the forum with enough combined experience to help u thru...

Today I went on line using CX integrator and xfer the network to the pc. Boy was I surprised! What I thought was only 3 plc's on the network turned out to be several. Closed to twenty as I recalled. I guess I'm struggling with understanding this existing network in terms of the three plc's I'm working with. Data link start Start Data link mode Manual setting Data Link Status Bit 8-bit format Wired Network 62 Node Enabled Bit Max 32 nodes CPU Bus Unit PLC Setup Initialization Do not initialize Polling node/polled node bit Polling node Area 1 data link start word 0 Area 1 type Area 1 not used Number of send words per node of Area 1 0 Area 2 data link start word 0 Area 2 type Area 2 not used Number of send words per node of Area 2 0 First data link status word 0 Data link participating node 01 Not participate Data link participating node 02 Not participate Data link participating node 03 Not participate Data link participating node 04 Not participate etc. etc. The other two nodes are the same. Where are the register addresses that the data is wrote to? Are these pre-defined such as the 30000 range that Sleepy used in the example? I have attached the .cin file. Maybe there is more than I'm telling you. Well I tried to send but it didn't like the file extension. Basically they all appear as above for the three PLC's I'm working with. To all... Thanks for your help and support

Have you read the CLK manual yet?? The laundry list above shows no self initiative. Come back with specific questions about the terms. Somebody is more prone to help when you ask specific questions.

To all and espically Jay, First my apologies for the "laundry list". You are correct. I should not have inquire any of the questions I submitted until I read the manual(s). Silly me was looking for a specific CLK21 manual. Never crossed my feeible mind about looking for CLK in general. But I did find a manual that was hardware specific. In regards to the different memory registers... yes I am guilty. No self initiative? I'll have to discount that remark.

I agree with Sleepy and Jay, really need to look at the Controller Link and CX-Integrator documentation. My suggested manual references were specifically directed at the Memory Area question. I know this can be a hurdle for anyone getting started with Omron. Also was a good suggestion to contact your local distributor. They should be able to offer assistance and answer questions. They may even be willing to do the job for you, for the right price.

Frank, if you have done your bit of reading like Sleepy says perhaps it's a good idea to go on with CX-Integrator and make your custom data link instead of setting it automatic, cause with the first you will learn the most and understand it better in the end. From CX-Integrator, if you go to Tools > Start Data Link > Controller link, the Data Link Editor is launched. The first time I had set up a Data Link myself, and even now when I need a small & quick one, I use the Table Wizard. Just start with 2 nodes sharing some words of both area. After the table is finished, see if you can get the data link up and running between these two nodes. By the way, the data link editor used to visualize the data table in a easy to follow graphic by default, which now it is shown in a list since a few editions CXP ago. Still you can use this display method (View > Show in table) I just can't seem to get used to this list display. Just put it on table display and click on the two nodes, the data link settings will show in the area below.

Specific question: I am working with a "live" system. I transfered the network setting. When I open Datalink Compenent and view the .CLk file I see the "From Nodes" Memory type D start & finish addresses and size. What puzzles me is the addressing. My example is for Node 1 DM8100 has the data however when I view node 2 memory I see the data in DM8200. Why???

Post your datalink file. It will be a lot easier for us to help you understand it and to get it to work.

Thanks for the reply. There may be a misunderstanding though. The system works fine. I'm just trying to understand it. I want to send the .CL2 file or display it's contents however I don't know how to display it's contents and when I attach and try to send the CL2 file I get the following error: Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload a file with that file extension.

Zip it!

Thank you for the suggestion. Here is the CL2 file. I see that all of the addresses are contiguous. Is it possible to have different areas that are not contiguous? As as example a node with an area of D1000 and a size of 100 and the same node with an area of D10000 and a size of 100? Thank you for your response PK1_2.zip Edited by frank.raymond

Will have a look tomorrow. Frank, you posted an image of the CPU memory areas in a *.mem file. I don't understand your last question. One participating node in a datalink can share 2 contigious areas of words. We are talking about area1 and area2. If you wish, you can have both areas consist of a D data memory range. But mostly the second area is used so you can also send some bit orientated words, like CIO or L. About your forelast question. I usually try to set up the datalink so that the source area is the same as destination area at other nodes. So if N1 is haring D1000 100 words, the the destination area in the other nodes is always the same. But this needs a bit of playing around with the offsets sometimes. I also always make a printout from the Datalink editor. This gives a pretty good reference when testing your datalink.

I realize I didn't make my question clear enough. I understand the concepts as you described in areas 1 and 2 (or at least I think I do). My question is for the second area. I want to use d1000/100 in area 2 and I also need to use d10000/100 that is also in area 2 (because all the DM addresses are used in between 1000+100 to 10000). Is this possible? Thanks for your patience.

You can only set 1 range of contiguous words in an "area". So if you want to share D1000 size 100 and D10000 size 100 you have to use both areas for D words. You can't have both in 1 area. Somehow I still have the feeling we don't understand each other. Still post your CL2 file, and perhaps make a graphical representation of what you want to do.

PdL, I understand what you're saying. You answered my question that the each area has to be contiguous or split up and use both areas for DM in my example (unfortunately area 1 is already dedicated to core io). Here is my CL2 zip file... PK1_2.zip