Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jeffellis1

Steel Mill Temp position

15 posts in this topic

I have been offered a temporary replacement position at a Steel Mill in Ohio. It includes the best pay I have ever made and all expenses reimbursed. I would have to cross a picket line and work 12 hour shifts. Responsibilities are electrical maintenance, plc troubleshooting, etc... the biggest part of it I don't like is crossing the picket line. I have never done this before. So lets hear some input and feedback. The strike could end tommorrow or 4 months or a year from now. Anyone here been there done that? and care to share their experience with me? Jeff

Yes I have done it several times but never for a Steel Mill. Cross it and just park where you car is visible. As the strike gets worse there is more chance of vandalism but you are getting paid more. Don't drive a really nice car, they are targeted more. Some people duck under the dash as they enter the gate but I prefer to smile and wave, some will think you are just dumb and being friendly and other will know you are being a smart *** and it really will piss them off. Mainly don't show fear, don't be mean, and don't be friendly. Just do your job Strikes aren't like they were in the 70s and early 80s (maybe earlier but that is my earliest memory) but they can still get bad, especially if they drag out for long. A US Steel mill that is union? It won't take much of a strike to do them in.

My main concern was violence when you try to drive through the picket line? Should I worry about a brick getting smashed through my winshield or people spitting on my vehicle? How about someone following me and harrassing me when I get back to the hotel? Jeff

I guess it depends on the severity of the strike. Can you give us a hint at that? In the ones I have seen and heard from others you will hear a lot of screaming, middle fingers, an occasional spitting, and maybe an egg or two. It is always easier in the morning than at night. For one you can go in early before daylight and two no one is drunk yet. If it is a bad strike the police will be there. I wouldn't worry about anyone following you home but you can always take a long route to make sure If you are really uncomfortable about it just decline the offer. If you are just having worries like your first plane ride or a dangerous part of town then don't worry about it, everything will be fine.

I would guess that it is AK Steel plant that the union is locked out at. It is being operated by management and temporary workers. I personnally would stay away from that position. I worked for AK for a couple of years and did not like the way they operated.

Can you elaborate? The Steel Industry has always interested me. I understand if you can't

if its the best pay youve ever been offered theres maybe a good reason for that an there not tellin you, i reckon if its to good to be true then theres always a catch, as for breaking the picket line thats a personal descision for you to make, ive never had to do it but strikes are pretty rare in England now.

I will assume that it is the AK steel plant in Middletown, OH. It's been in the local news a lot. I've been in the plant before (several years ago), and it's not a place I'm eager to return to. Here's a link to a news story on one of the replacement workers. http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/cont...0606akfolo.html

Well we are talking about a steel mill. I can't say I have ever been eager to go in one.

Oh my godness....that really sucks bad. I hate to read stories like these.

One other thing about AK Steel, if you are looking to eventually get a permanent position there, it is doubtful you will. It is definitely on the list of steel mills that probably won't survive for long.

I personally would never work in a steel or chemical plant, i value my life over any paycheck..I have alway worked safely but who knows what Joe Blow was doing befor coming to work that day. I am by no means a union man but if i remember correctly this is a company lock out of about 2400 workers that started around Feb 28. crossing the Lock out line would be the third strike, Dont be a scab

you must ask yourself a moral question: is the strike legit, and if you were in their position, how would you feel if someone took your job? sometimes the unions get overly pushy, and sometimes the companies try to cheat employees. what is going on in this situation? your decision.

Yes the workers were locked out. Looks like these guys have pensions like GM that is killing them to top it off but don't think thats going to matter either way. Unfortunately just from what I know of the steel industry the Middletown needs to terminate atleast 500 to 700 workers to survive and that may be what they are planning. Then they need to do a serious revamp of their plant to become profitable. Their cost per ton is way too high. I think I would just let that plant die, this could be a nasty one Edited by TWControls