Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blueheeler

Stepping Motor Control

5 posts in this topic

Is it possible to supply the sinking output pulses from a Microlix 1000 to control an Automation Direct Surestep Stepping Motor Drive? Does AB have any PLC other than the Logix5000 series that will do this? Does anyone have have sample code showing how to do this? Thanks for any help.

I'm pretty sure that the Micrologix 1000 is not capable of this but the Micrologix 1100, 1200, or 1500 with the FET outputs may be using the PTO(pulse train output). I have never actually used it in this way, maybe someone else can verify it.

I've used the PTO to control steppers with a uLogix 1500. It worked pretty well, there's a few gotchas. The big thing to keep in mind is that the PTO is handled by a separate subsystem of the "brick". Once you issue the commands to the PTO, there isn't a lot you can do to change them short of issuing a stop. This may or may not be an issue in your app, depends on what kind of motion you are creating.

you can check this one out sourcing or sinking digital input module There's also a link on that page for FREE EZ Data Logger Software.