Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wover98

LOGIX 500 Loading VERRRRRYYYYYYY Slow

12 posts in this topic

Need Help My RS Logix 500 (and 5000 also) For some reason is now loading VERRY SLOW. I am talking like 87 seconds the last load. This has worked fine up till yesterday. I have cleaned the temp files on the laptop etc. I even did the "repair" thing on the install disk, no help. Has anyone ran accros this before? Any help is appreciated.

The most usual reason for this is that it's looking for the activation files on all available drives, including network drives that might not be hooked up. That can take a very long time. There is an environment file called rocksoft.ini in the /Windows folder, with a section like this: [Common] Path=C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software,C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon KEYDISK=FALSE CHECKDRIVES=C [Applications] RSLinx=C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLinx\RSLinx.exe The KEYDISK=FALSE stops activation looking on the floppy drive first., and the Checkdrives function tells RSI products where to look for the activation. If this is not present, it will check all drives. Edited by Ken Roach

On my XP Pro system there is no CHECKDRIVES or KEYDISK in the rocksoft.ini file. They are environment variables instead. You can access them from Control Panel -> System -> Advanced. So check both places.

I am also running XP Pro. I looked, but am unsure of what I am looking for. I did notice that the OS is listed as NT. Is this the same with you? I am trying to paste whats there, but cant do the copy thing. the path for rockwell seems LLLOOOOONNNNGGGG but looks like it should be right. all on the C drive. Thanks.

This always work for me: Right click on My computer ->Properties -> Advanced Click on Enviroment Variables button In "user variables" click NEW Var: CHECKDRIVES Value: C (or CA if floppy used) Save, Reboot. Edited by Contr_Conn

I knew I'd seen this covered somewhere... Check out Rockwell Software -> Utilities -> Activation Help. Once you have help open, take the Network Installation link, and at the bottom you will see a link for Set CHECKDRIVES. That gives you a pretty good explanation of what to do and how to do it. Good luck,

Thanks a million, this worked. You are all such a great resource.

Thanks for an excellent post. This procedure also worked wonderfully for my RSLogix 5 software. It had been taking anywhere from 35 to 55 seconds to load. Now it loads in about 5 seconds. Thanks again.

Being completly new to all this I might come up with a stupid question, but I hope someone can help me anyway. I operate a test facility that uses RSLinx Classic vers. 2.57.00.4 to communicate with a PLC. I ran into the same problem as wower98 that suddenly from one day to the next the start up became awfully slow except that my computer takes 5 minutes and 20 seconds rather than 2 minutes to finish off the 'Checking Activation'. According to the Help file, Known anomalies: "If you have a disconnected network drive mapping and the server machine is not up, RSLinx Classic hangs for up to two minutes during startup as it checks the dead drive for an activation file. To workaround this, either disconnect the drive mapping if you no longer need it, or if your activations are all on the C drive, add CHECKDRIVES=C to the [Common] section of the %WINDIR%\ROCKSOFT.INI file." which is also what the helpful persons above have suggested, so I have added the two lines in the rocksoft.ini and also created the user variable CHECKDRIVES and set it to C, but it hasn't helped me. Can anyone suggest another failure mechanism? best regards NSV Edit: PS. I have Windows 7 Edited by nsv

The environmetal variable was the first thing I did - I created CHECKDRIVES and set it to C, but it did not help. Then I found a way into the Windows folder and added the two lines in rocksoft.ini, but still to no avail. The problem was there from one day to the next, shortly or immediately after a Windows update. best regards NSV

I restored the system to before the latest Windows update of 20. Sep 2013, and then it was back to normal speed again. I will let it be at that. NSV