Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
naing

SCADA section POLL

Should here be a new SCADA forum?   60 votes

1. 1. Here should be a seperate SCADA forum.......Yes/No.

• YES
    • NO
    • Yes, but it should be a part of the existing forum.
    • Yes, but not now.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 posts in this topic

Hi all, I think it is time to open a new seperate SCADA forum. Agree it or not?

Naing, I pinned the topic so that it stays on top for everyone to see. Lets keep it there for a while and see what the public says

I voted no but wanted to explain why I voted this way. It is not that a SCADA forum would not be good or bad, but I think that we are at the limit on the number of sections. If a SCADA forum is added, then I believe another section should be removed. Also a SCADA application is usually PLC specific. I think some would post the SCADA questions under the specific PLC section, some under the SCADA section, and then you have those who double post which causes a lot of confusion Just my two cents

hello all, i voted to YES, bcoz i'm gng on with wonderware SCADA i dont know wh to ask my questions, there is no specific forum, for it so plz add new topic as SCADA

Hi all users! We respect your opinions. We know some of us see the poll but do not play the poll. Please, all viewers, play the poll because the end of this section is near to the end. We need the rate seriously. Thanks a lot.

Just a small comment: Call it "HMI" and not "SCADA".

I disagree, all SCADA's are HMI's, but all HMI's are not SCADA's

HMI is a broader term than SCADA. So you can ask all SCADA questions in a HMI forum, but some HMI questions cannot be asked in a SCADA forum. So there would have to be more sections to allow those questions too. I notice on some other forums that also split the discussions into sections that "HMI" is sometimes used for a section, but not "SCADA". At least thats what I have seen on the ones I frequent. But it is not so important really. I can accept SCADA.

SCADA & HMI section , everybody happy.

Not quite, perhaps someone can explain to me the types of questions you would see in this section. If they were PLC specific, I would say ask them in the PLC section since a none SCADA user could have the answer. Maybe some software configuration issues could be asked, but look how many different types of SCADAs there are The only thing I can see is the actual screens used to interface with the operator, mainly their appearance and how he interfaces with them. That one I would have to think about for a "HMI and SCADA" section or perhaps even being merged with the Control Panel section since it does have to do with the design and appearance of the machine It is not that I am really against the SCADA forum, but I am worried that it will limit the number of users that view the questions. Plus I just think it is going to cause a lot of grey questions that lead to double posting. Let me ask the older forum users this, from what I understand there was a SCADA section here at one time. Was it used? Why was it deleted? Edited by TWControls

Would you really be unhappy with such a section It just that you can discuss all you want but the only way to find out I guess is to put the section up and see if it dies or that it becomes self maintained. I would not have asked for it either but there seem to be people who would like to have it. About the questions. Sure there should be a good guide on which questions can be asked and which not. I think almost all of these questions could have been asked in such a section. And although not too many people have voted, a small majority seems to be in favor...

I like the idea of adding SCADA to the "computer and networking" section. Since those are really the components of the SCADA anyway. Or maybe it could go with the "Other PLCs" section.

No I would not be unhappy. Just trying to bring up another point. I know having too many sections and it being unclear where to post your topics was a problem with another forum that is now closed Just don't want that confusion to happen here. I do think that that another section should be closed to accommodate this section and was going to suggest Keyence but just looked and ... Was I imagining things or did it recently disappear? Let's add it. That's the only way we will find out. I've voiced my concerns. If no one sees them as a problem then change my vote to YES Edited by TWControls

I would look at this forum as a generalized information area. I think users would go in there to help in forming more to the point questions to be placed in other distinct forums. I hear the term SCADA being used by various professionals refering to usually the HMI station ( the iFix or WW station itself). As if the HMI actually was THE system. Maybe if the particular system was truly a gather only system, then maybe the HMI would be the whole show along with the input devices. But all systems I've ever worked on had PLC or DCS processeors that do the real work and the HMI was a neccessary evil to give the operator something to look at and click on. Today with ethernet connected everything, along with older data highways and modbuses etc etc, its quite confusing how all the parts manage to get the data thru. What is a SCADA? What is a Control System? are they the same thing. What is a data logger? What is a PLC? DCS? Are they the same? Is a SCADA the same? What is a driver or OPC Server. and on and on. This is why there are professionals. But new persons to the SCADA or Control system world (and I'm sure many are reading this site) could go into this forum to read generalized question threads and educate themselves, hopefully to formulate better questions elsewhere. My 2 cents

Would every agree if I took Computer Help and Networking Control Panel Building Product Reviews For Sale or Services Offered add an HMI & SCADA section. And move all those under the General Topics - The Lounge General Topics - The Lounge Subforums: MrPLC Announcements and Information Subforums: Computer Help and Networking Subforums: Control Panel Building Subforums: HMI & SCADA Subforums: Product Reviews Subforums: For Sale or Services Offered The purpose of MRPLC is to provide PLC support. All the other things came after the fact. The other purpose of MRPLC is providing a repository of sample download code for all the PLC brands.

I think it is fine the way it is.

I think it's a good idea to centralize these sub categories under one portal, The Lounge, to keep the main focus on the PLC forums. The only think I don't like about subforums is that I can't see from the main index page if there are any new posts and by who the last post is done. So I am thinking is it possible to change it to something along the lines of this example. That way you can still have an overview of new posts in the subforums, and perhaps posted user info. Off course this is only an example I made in Paint, it's all up to the magic of Chakorules..

Let's make it a little more challenging for Chakorules. The layout is fine but I don't like the idea of having to scroll down to view the PLC forums. Can we make the subforum collapsible? No big deal if it is going to be hard. I usually just hit the refresh button occasionally and look for the green symbols

I aggree too. I understand that there is a disadvantage with segmenting the forum in a kind of tree structure. You may be interested and visit in one particular section only, and may miss something that might be relevant to you in another section. I suggest that you do as proposed, but also consider to have a button "show all the latest posts from all sections". With such a button you can quicky overview all threads, even those from sections you never frequent.

At the very TOP RIGHT. There is a link you can click. View New Post. It should do what you guys are looking for...try it out

gee, has it been there the whole time ? (the "view new posts" button I mean).

Haven't noticed any changes in the layout, but I never saw it either

Yes Sir. It's always been there.