Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jebr2121

505 comunications

6 posts in this topic

I downloaded a file for a 503 configured for modem to a 505 and for got to change it or assign a ip. I now can't access the 505. Is there a way to reset?

Re-download the program, but first assign an IP address.

If you forgot to set an IP address, then the SLC-5/05 controller is probably still broadcasting a "BOOTP Request" message on the Ethernet port. Use the BOOTP/DHCP Server utility (look under RSLinx Tools or just under Rockwell Software) to intercept BOOTP requests and set an IP address in the controller.

Or yet another trick that I have used many times: 1. Power the system down. 2. REMOVE the processor battery, 3. Then identify the large capacitor on the back edge of the PCB, it is the one that holds the memory up when the battery is being changed. 4. It is necessary to discharge this capacitor, so that the user application is wiped. I always just pop a flat bladed screwdriver accross the capacitor terminals for about 10 sec...always did the trick and am not aware of any issues that ever subsequently arose. If you want to be supercautious then try the same method but use a low value resistor, say 10 ohms or so. 5. The the processor firmware will revert the system back to the default settings, and in particular the Ch0 serial port will revert back to default DF1 Full Duplex mode and you will be able to get back in, just as if it was brand new out of the box. There are lots of good reasons why AB do not publish this method. You MUST remove the battery first. You must treat the PCB with anti-static procedures, and be able to correctly identify the capacitor in question...and be sure you don't damage the PCB in any way through clumsiness, etc. If you have any electronics skills at all however, it's a dead easy trick and is the quick and easy way out of these sorts of hassles.

My reply looks pretty stupid... My reply should have been something like clear memory and re-download the program, but first change the IP address. I thought half of it and typed the other half. Edited by 93lt1

Thank Guys. i guess i had a brain fart. I removed the battery, but forgot about the capacitor. That got me back in. Again many thanks.