Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ben

Datalogging from Omron PLC to PC

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I want to transfer some data from PLC to PC (one to one), event based or time based. The purpose is not machine control but datalogging and viewing only. Front end could be VB (6 or Net) and client is asking for MySQL as backend. I have the CS1-CPU63 connected on Ethernet via ETN21 and PC will also be included on the same network. What is the best option (software) for this? I know a few like In-Gear OPC server, Omron CX-server lite (Activex) or OPC. But I have never done it before so asking for advice from guys who already have used them.

I would also extend my search to include a low point count SCADA package. At least the HMI coding could be easier the VB applicaiton.

hi ben, i do something similar in one aplication. I store process variables in a memory card (cj1m cpu12), and download the files via ftp. I use the cx-opc server too, i read data from seeral plcs (temperature, pressure, ...) for visualization in a scada (with labview). For your aplication, perhaps with the opc-server and the file manipulation facilities of vb you don't need a memory card, if data is not critical (if pc don't work). take in consideration that the opc server can be not fast enought

Hi Friends, Sorry for the delay but I thaught of updating the topic I started. Basically my application is working and the stat-up was relatively smooth. So I'ld like to share it. I am using Cimquest InGear's OPS server SOLOLINK (for connection to single PLC) to collect data from my PLC. Basically through this package you can read and write almost anything in Omron's memory area and it supports CS1, CJ and CV series. There are some Activex components built into OPC server that you can use as it is (named as IDAX controls). Simple drag and drop. It has lots of methods, properties and events that can be used in VB for manipulation. That was pretty quick and this OPC server is not costly, 3-4 times cheaper then Omron's softwares. There are some limitations though. This OPC server uses UDP port 9600, that's it. So far I could not find a way to change to another port or to change to TCP. So, if you are connected by this OPC server with PLC and your cx-programmer settings are ethernet (which also uses UDP), you get a conflict. Either the cx-programmer or the OPC server can connect at a time. Immidiate solution to this is move your cx-programmer to Ethernet (FINS/TCP that uses TCP port 9600 by default) and both can work. There are some other questions, 1) how can I change the node number in OPC server remotely (i.e from VB application) 2) How can I Start or stop the OPC server communication with PLC from VB (you can attach or detach the tags at runtime though). They say the communication starts when you access a PLC tag on your VB application at runtime. If anybody has the idea on above, please share it.

We just released version 3.0 of our INGEAR Omron OPC Serverm that has over 100 new features (including the ability to change the UDP port assignment.) Visit our Omron OPC Server web page for more information and download http://www.ingeardrivers.com/omron/omron.htm

Terms of use of the forum 7. Interactive Areas You may be permitted to access and use chat rooms, discussion forum, mail hosts, and other forms of group electronic communications through this Site ("Interactive Areas"). If You participate in Interactive Areas, You are responsible for Your own communications and the consequences of posting Your communications. If You choose to post material using such Interactive Areas, You agree to do so solely for lawful purposes. You expressly agree that You will not post any material that: is defamatory, libelous, abusive, derogatory, or obscene, including, without limitation, material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, federal or international law; is contrary to the provisions of any human rights or civil rights of any jurisdiction in the United States of America; is contrary to any provisions of the criminal law of the United States of America or any state thereof; is contrary to any law or regulation of any jurisdiction in the United States of America for the use of telephone services; infringes on the copyright or my other proprietary right of a third-party; would invade the privacy of any other person; is intended to advertise to or solicit others without Our prior written consent; constitutes charity solicitations, chain letters or pyramid schemes; constitutes "spamming" or mailing or other mass distribution laws of the United States of America; contains a virus, worm, trojan horse, time bomb, or any other harmful program or component; or does not generally pertain to the designated topic or theme of this Site.