Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ToddM

GE LM90 "special 2" patch

13 posts in this topic

Hi Folks...Every once in a while I get an error when trying to store a program from my computer to my PLC. I'm using windows 2K and I have a GE 90-30 with a CPU331 processor and I'm using LM 90 v9.05. The error is "(U34) Store aborted ; Program in folder uses instructions not supported by PLC" I did a little reasearch and found that I may need a "GE LM90 special 2" patch. I tried to get this from the GE site but I have had nothing but trouble trying to use my user name and password to get in, so I tried to create another one.{ still trouble} Anyway, does someone have this patch they could post for me to see if this is my problem? Any and all help is welcome and appreaceated. Thanks and Later...Todd

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?dlcategory=15

Hi Folks...I'm still having trouble. I installed the patch, but it didn't help. I finally got into the GE site and downloaded the patch again and followed the instructions and installed them again. Still it did not work. So I got a hold of a different processor {a 352} and tried it again through the port on the power supply and through the port on the processor. I uninstalled LM90 9.05 and reinstalled it. I had a DOS print utility installed so I could print my projects and I uninstalled it also. I can switch from monitor to online and from stop to run with no problem so I know my cable is good and I am communicating with the processor. Can anyone think of anything I am missing or something I am doing wrong? Any suggestions, hints,help or ideas will be appreaceated. Thanks and later...Todd

Is the problem still the message "Program in folder uses instructions not supported by the attached PLC"? You can't download to either the CPU331 or the CPU352? The message generally means that you've exceeded the capabilities of your CPU. Post a copy of your program and Russ or I can take a look at it.

Steve or Russ....Yes that is my problem. It doesn't matter what I put in my program or which CPU I use (331 or 352) I still get the "(U34) Store aborted ; Program in folder uses instructions not supported by PLC" error. The proram I am attaching only has 1 rung with an open contact and a coil and it still will not download to the processor. I'll appreaceate any help you guys can give me. Thanks and later...Todd TEMP.ZIP

I was not able to duplicate your problem with Logicmaster running on either W95, W98, NT, or XP. Sorry, I don't have a computer with W2000. FYI, Logicmaster uses the folder name "TEMP" when you upload a program from a PLC and you don't have a folder with the same name on your computer. It's best not to use that name for a program folder. How did you create that program? Did you go to Folder Functions (F8), then Select/Create a new folder (F1)?

Steve.... No I created it at the "SELECT OR CREATE PROGRAM FOLDER" after you start the Logicmaster 90 programmer package{F1}. I am going to try it as you posted to see if that makes any differance. I also noticed under the "PLC COMMUNICATIONS SERIAL PORT SETUP" there is a file name C:\LM90\%PLC030.PSU but I could not find that file when I tried to search for it. Could I be missing something in my communications setup? or is that just a DOS file not used by W2K? Thanks so far for your help and attention...Todd

The only reason I asked about how you created the file is because the folder name "TEMP" is what Logicmaster uses for the special purpose I mentioned in my earlier post. I don't know whether or not that fact is related to the problem you're seeing. You said you have the problem "every once in a while". That implies that you have been able to successfully download a file to your PLC. Is that correct? When you try to download, are you only downloading the ladder logic or are you also downloading a configuration?

Steve..It started out as "every once in a while" but now it's most of the time. Maybe 1 out of every 15 attemps to download to the CPU will work. I downloaded the configuration first and then the program.I am wondering if this is a com problem with my PC, except I have also been working with an Omron PLC with no com problems. I am going to dig out my antique 486 laptop and try it tommorow with LM90 7.05. Thanks and later...Todd

It may have something to do with the cable. As I recall, you're using a homemade cable that doesn't convert from RS232 to RS485. I don't have a good explanation why a problem with the cable should generate that particular fault code, though. If you still have access to that CPU352, try making cable for Port 1 on the CPU and see if that doesn't clear things up. If it does, you might want to invest in a converter. I don't remember if that port is enabled by default, so you should check the configuration. Make sure the port is set for SNP protocol and that it is enabled.

Steve...Believe it or not, it aint the cable. It's my @#^& computer. I dug out my old antique laptop and everything seems to work ok on it {it's a 386 instead of a 486, I forgot how old it really is} Anyway thanks for your help. Thanks and later...Todd

You and Steve are probably both right. It is most likely that your newer notebook's RS-232 UART circuitry has trouble detecting the voltage from the RS-485 UART's electronics of the PLC. I have run into a few like this that some times do not work with the "cheater" cable.