Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
subjwd

Micrologix 1100 and a modem

17 posts in this topic

I am trying to dial-in to a MicroLogix 1100 PLC with a Multitech MT5634ZBA modem. I have used the US Robotics to ML1500 article on this site and looked through the various threads already listed on this topic. I can't seem to get this to work. Here's what I'm able to do. I have the modem set-up on my home phone line and I use a neighbors line to try and dial in. I am able to dial in to the Multitech modem and connect at 9600 with no issues. However, I see no communications between the Multitech and the ML1100. I can get online with the ML 1100 via DF1 connection using the serial cable and via Ethernet on a local network, so both comm channels work. The multitech uses a 25 pin to 9 pin cable. The serial cable for the ML1100 is a standard 9 pin to round 9 pin. I bought a male-to-male 9 pin to 9pin gender changer to connect the two cables together. Has anyone gotten this to work or have any ideas of what to try next? Thanks, Jeff

SWAG: Try placing a null modem cable between the modem and the plc connection.

I'm not sure how to do that considering the connection to the ML1100. I would need a 25 pin male to 9 pin round male null modem cable. Not sure where I'd get that. Hopefully someone has successfully done this before. Jeff

You can get null modem / gender changers anywhere. I'm preposing replacing your existing changer with a null modem device. Might not work, but since you aren't using the AB RAD , not sure what the cabling requirements are.

Do you know the pinouts of the modem?

I've looked all through the modem documentation. It doesn't list pin-outs at all. I'm using the 25pin to 9pin cable that came with the modem. I can program the modem via my serial port with no issues. I'm using a 1761-CBL-AP00 cable from AB, which can be used to talk to the ML1100 via the serial port. Got some gender changers from work today. Going to try using only the AB cable and see what happens.

You need a straight thru cable, see attached AB_PLC_CABLES.xls

Try this LINK It has the pinouts for the RADKIT cable, may work for your application. It appears that the ML doesn't support handshaking with the modem, so you have to jumper a few of the pins together.

The straight through gender changer with the AB cable didn't work. Wouldn't even let the modem answer. I'll be going today to see if I can find the pieces I need to build the custom cable that Ken listed. I have the 25pin pieces, but no 8pin male mini-din. Not sure that Radio Shack is going to have it. May need to go online to buy it.

I made the new cable. Still no luck. I can dial-in to the modem, but there are no comms between the modem and PLC.

Did you put the jumpers on for handshaking that Ken mentioned?

Yes, I jumpered 4-5 and 6-20. I have sent an e-mail to A-B tech support asking for help. Really curious if anyone else has made it work yet.

I always the AB RAD kit. Time is money. Works the first time everytime.

The MultiTech is what the customer has been using for some time. I was trying to stick with that. The cost of it is around $150. However, I don't believe we are tied to it. How much is the RADKIT? The other question is has anyone used it successfully with the ML1100?

I have successfully used the 9300-RADES Modem / 4 port network switch. I can dial into the modem and connect to the ML1100 through the Network port. I hope this helps.

Now were getting into higher dollars. The cost of the modem would substantially increase the panel cost and isn't feasible. The system is going into a customer's product. $150-$200 is about the max I could go without affecting the price of the unit. Has anyone made it work with a US Robotics or anything of that sort?

http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=9&c=11