Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stupidav

Control Logix Battery

13 posts in this topic

Just for everyones info, The 1756-BA1 battery, at least the one that I have, is a Sanyo Laser Lithium CR17335SE (3V) When my distributer was out and I needed one, I decided to open it up, and I was able to get a replacment right away. I just soldiered the wires on to the new battery, and was ready to go. I almost forgot, for a lot less money too. Edited by Stupidav

RA always tells what battery used: See G16620 - All Product Battery Data and Cross-Reference See page 20-21, you will find more choices, besides Sanyo. And look at this site: http://www.batterystation.com/lithium.htm They sell battery with connector already attached. CR17335SET-FT But don't claim warranty if proccessor failed because of this.

Personally compared to the cost of the processor I don't think it would be good to try to save money on the battery. I would stick with the 1756-BA1 But in a pinch I say anything goes and this is good information. Thanks. Of course in a pinch I wouldn't be afraid to tape a bunch of AA batteries together to keep it going

The battery with the ControlLogix processors are easy to be empty. So if you have to change them every 2 months and you have many processors it can become expensive. Ron the bon

Why do I hear of so many people shutting to power of to there processers anyway. The only time ours are shutdown is when the are locked out for machine maintenance or repair. As long as you leave them on they don't use the battery (in theory) anyway.

Ron, If your application required frequent power off, you should use 1756-BATM battery instead or switch to 1756-L6x ser B processor

We do never power the plc off, only when a big maintenance is required, so once a year. And even when I do a download or whatever we normally switch the processor to Stop and then tu Run again. That's why I don't really understand this battery problem. Sorry, but what is a "1756-BATM battery" ? Thanks

It is an externally mounted battery that gives you a significantly longer battery life What processor are you using? Edited by TWControls

My applications often get shipped overseas by sea to asia since the PLC's are mounted on large machines. This does become quite the problem when machines take 2 months to actually get to the destination, and maybe a month or more before they are powered up. I have used the rack mounted battery for extra long life before on applications where there is no compact flash slot, but also since I use mostly CompactLogix, I disconnect the battery and include a flash card with the program on it. When it arrives, the user powers up the panel, the program loads from flash (via corrupt memory since there is no program on the processor anymore), and then they plug the battery back in and they are good to go. This is the only time I have battery issues since after the initial powerup, the machines are not down often at all after that. Of course, if the battery does die after this, the program is on the flash card, in the slot, and will be automatically loaded when the machine powers back on.

I believe the 1756-BATM is alos a rechargable unit while the 1756-BA1 is not. This in addition to the increased size account for it's longevity.

New compactlogix L43 processor has no battery at all PS has large capacitor to save data in NVRAM Edited by Contr_Conn

Trying to remember, the flash is saved on every power down and that is what drains the battery faster, is that correct?

Same thing here: program saved to NVRAM on every power down, but uses capacitor energy instead of battery.