Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
markn

Com 1 configuring

7 posts in this topic

Hi Fellas, I'm not a complete novice, but I am stumped on this one. I have loaded RSLOGIX and RSLINX into my laptop, both programs appear to be functioning. However, upon connecting to a micrologix 1000 and running auto configure in the RSLINX dialog I continue to get a error message which reads " cannot connect, check cables, ect" I have checked the pinout of the second hand cable against the pinout for the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable and it is fine. Could my laptops' serial port not be configured for the RSLINX? Any help would be appreciated.

have you checked under administrative tools - services and made sure fax or modem service does not have that same com port tied up.

Thanks for the reply, I'm a new user of win2000, so bear with me on this. I looked in the Services folder and under the COM+Events folder fund some information Log on---local system acount: Dependencies--COM+Events depends on these services-"if REMOTE PROCEDURE CALL. I couldn't determine if there were any conflicts or sharing with other devices. Is there something that I need to configure in the COM+Events folder?

What I was referring to can be found as follows: Start menu Settings Control Panel Administrative Tools Services Then look for a service called Fax. And make sure it is stopped or in manual Also Check for a service called telephony {uses the modem} And make sure it is stopped and or in manual. I was also thinking -- did you run the windows firewall configurator. Not sure you need to in w2K but couldn't hurt. maybe others will have more suggestions.

Just try to disable com1 then restart the pc then enable com1 again and try to use rslinx again.

Hi Markn, I am fairly new to the Allen Bradley too, I also had trouble with the COM1 (although I am almost too embarrased to admit some of them ) 1. I hadn't restarted after installing the RSLinx software 2. I didn't turn on the PLC 3. I had other software on the laptop, for label printing, that also demanded the COM1 port (I had to disable the other software from starting). I assume that you didn't make the first two mistakes (they both happened early in the morning when I was trying to deal with several things at once) so check for the third option Hope this is of some use to someone Kevin

I had this exact problem with Win 2K. I had to go into setup during bootup. I changed the serial port to com 2. Rebooted and everything worked. I hope this helps. Edited by hculyer