Sleepy Wombat

CX-Programmer improvement requests

166 posts in this topic

Doesn't work for me unless I am copying a whole program.. if I want to copy half a rung of logic, it doesn't do anything.

Maybe this is a part of the copy/paste problem I listed earlier ... ? If the copied ladder does not 'fit' into the the space when you try to paste, nothing will happen. Try making the paste area large enough first. The vertical lines can be a problem if they will not fit into the paste area. ?? Nibroc

Partly firmware and partly software - a swap word function that works the same way as the swap byte function. Swap byte is a godsend when pulling data in from some devices. Swap word would be just as usefull.

I've recently visited OMRON's factory in s'-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands, for one week courses for distributors. I've found out there that some guys in charge of CX-Programmer testing and developing regularly visit this site and look for a user comments and feedback. that's cool no? So, all this may influence the CX-Programmer development since the guys above monitor this. Say all hi to mr. Koichi Tsumura!! regards to all. Edited by tashinz

Hi, I'm in the process of writing software that attempts to do that. It won't read your mind and does not involve your speakers, but it will write ladder code for you. If you want to see what it can do so far, send me a PM.

The function blocks should accept optional inputs with provision for default values. Presently (I have only CX-One 1.12 not CX-One 2.0) the ladder doesn't compile if an input parameter is missing. This will increase reusability of the function block (if a function block is used in a program now and after some time in a different project it becomes necessary to add an input to it then separate function block need not be created, only the working FB need to be enhanced while keeping the compatibility with the earlier program). SVN

When online to PLC, being able to view comm settings, not being able to be modified of course, but jsut being able to see them. Not a major, but couple of times, when online, have gone to note settings etc, or give settings to someone else, and have to go offline.

You can use the XCHG (073) Data Exchange instruction for this. There's also a double word data exchange instruction as well XCGL (562).

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but how about having the simulator available for all PLC models? This may be available in CX-P v7, which I don't have yet.

That would be nice but that's not going to happen I'm sure. CX-Simulator supports CS/CJ/CP series but will not be available for any of the older models.

A quick work around for me is to convert the older plc progs to a cj1 and then i can run simulator....

I have done that as well, but converted to the CP1H ( was closer in list I think ).

Just had an occasion where it would have been very helpful to have been able to print the results of a ladder compare. Maybe print the whole set of sections, or just the differences, or either one.

Hello tstevic, If a compare fails, the differences (in mnemonic form), can be saved as a CSV file, which can then be printed from Excel. Regards anonymous

When on site i anit got the facilities to print out the logic so i open two instances of CX programmer, on one instance i chang the background colour to make it easy to distinguish between the two.... when you do the caomparison the differences are highlightd... i work backwards....ie from the last diff up that way you don;t need to keep on comparing the two files etc..

Converion Model Instructions DISTC & COLLC do not operate with CX-P V7.03 (but work fine with CX-P 6.1) Some other instructions work malfunction too. It's fatal. I think the compiler of CX-P V7 has some problem. Edited by nguyenthanhcanh

Hello nguyenthanhcahn, In what way do they not work? What other instructions fail, and how? Please let me know, I can pass this information on and get it fixed. Regards anonymous

I tested DISTC & COLLC (operate as stack) on CJ1M-CPU11 Ver3.0 and CP1H. I still use these instructions (from CPM* flatform) because I think they operate better then PUSH & FIFO in some cases. With the same file .cxp, when use CX-P 6.1 to compile and download to PLC, work fine. But when compile with CX-P V7.03 and download again to PLC, work malfunction or not work. Work with CX-P 6.1 but not work with CX-P 7.03 I must modify to work with CX-P 7.03

Desparately needs an auto save function right through CX-One. Busily writing software today - too busy. Did not save for about 2 hours - CX-P crashed and I lost the whole lot!!!!!

heck man, i thought it was allready there in CX-P. also clicking save very rare for that reason. thank you for the info Edited by tashinz

DISTC & COLLC instructions don't work with CX-Simulator (CX-ONE V1.1 or V2.04), too.

... If PLC password protection is set, CX-Programmer should ask if you wish to set the protection when disconnecting from the PLC. It is too easy to forget to set the protection when you pack up for home at the end of a day. (I usually remember when I am 10 minutes down the road ) Is there a way to set the protection from within the program ? (then I could program the PLC to set protection at a particular time / event) Nibroc

A better PID instruction or better at PID function block. The PID function block features: Feed forward control Bumpless transfer Between Auto / Man. Mode. Support for floating point, ( without having to convert from Real to Int. ) Banker

i find Omron software to be improved a lot in the last few years. i don't use it very often but here are things that I would like to see changed: - PLEASE get rid of the BCD encoding as default for everything (even screen numbers on HMI are BCD ). this is VERY annoying... in fact i can't think of ANY programming platform (not just PLC) where BCD would be default. only time I ever used BCD was long long time ago in the school when driving 7-segment LED display by primitive (not programmable) hardware (in my case it was TTL). What is point in encoding perfectly clean number? all Omron programs i've seen so far (not just mine) are cluttered with at least 20% overhead just to convert values back and forth because of the darn BCD (some math instructions seam to be only available in BCD version at least on older platforms, encoding also wastes reduces range of valid values etc.). - online edit can't delete empty rung or insert rung in section without code. one MUST have "seed" rung to lean on... c'mon now... - can't edit symbols online. why not? it is very time consuming to do simple things like fix spelling errors or document someone else's code while monitoring it's operation and trying to figure out what is going on.... - too many memory areas and the names are inconsistant or plain confusing. is it that hard to pick few names and stick to it? Why is it HR in one PLC and H in other, D and DM, CIO, IR and .... well - nothing. i just had to help troubleshoot one silly problem where counter preset was missing the prefix (#). - i don't mind that sometimes timers and counters share same data table but please give it just ONE name and stick to it (T, C or TC or whatever). make it SAME all the time. don't call it T in timers and C in counters, (try TC regardless if used in timer or counter instruction). same goes for all memory areas.

Once again goes back to supporting the older stuff. Still really glad that the support for it is in the one package. It is not terribly difficult to type in # for BDC and & for decimal to retain compatability. Also like @ etc in front of functions. Really handy. Saves getting RSI from using a b****y mouse all the time. Hate mice - like function keys and short cuts. Have not seen so many short cuts that can be set up in any other PLC software by the way. Easy too. There are still areas where there is room for improvement but overall I think CX-Programmer leaves the others for dead!!!! Edited by BobB