Sleepy Wombat

CX-Programmer improvement requests

166 posts in this topic

Hi Bob I was thinking that you have to manually remember "used Dm100, used Dm101, Dm102 is free. And if you use it as a float, then Dm102 and 103 are used, but it may not be obvious that 103 is used. After using CLX, I would program symbolically every time. Much quicker. Got another one. Some instructions have one argument which 'points' at a memory area of maybe another 4 Words. I'd rather see all the relevant arguments within the ladder instruction - easier to track, easier to monitor, easier to see what memory has been used.

If you run a cross reference report all indirectly addessed memory areas (ie the MSW and LSW) are listed clearly showing what is available,,, Also for example if you use a PID instruction the control word + 31 consectutive ones are used .. these indirect ones also show up in the Cross ref report... !

Thanks gtsuport. 16 words is still more than I need but it's better than 32. I'm going to try the BCNT route. That looks promising. Edited by Gary.Johnson

One of my favourite instructions. Using a Siemens 418 processor at the moment and they do not have it. What a pain. Do not want to write a function either. Do not have the time.

Don't forget you can use a for - next loop, using IR registers (IR, IR+, IR++ etc), this can be very powerful !! See Example below. The advantage of this example, is the ability to check the exact amount of contiguous registers you wish, by simply changing the number of loops in the FOR block. It could be 3, 10, 500, whatever ... Nibroc Edited by Nibroc

My biggest two gripes with the CX-Programmer package [V6.20] are the poor or complete lack of colors within the development package to readily indicate the current state of data AND not retaining settings during project development or keeping them with a saved project. 1. Memory Map Indicate which bits/data are being used within the current program. Grey background=Unused White Background=Used Show ON/OFF state of bits in different color. OFF=Black ON=Green Show forced bits in different color FORCED=Red. Have the width automatically fill the viewed size rather than playing with the stupid font size and zoom settings. And as mentioned in previous post, for heaven's sake allow the number of columns to be set as desried by the user. Once set, KEEP the settings and SAVE them with the project. 2.Cross Reference Reports Same issue as above, indicate used/unused with different background shade or color. At the very least show which ones are used in the current application [maybe a new column or greyed out background]. 3.Symbol Table As above indicate used/unused in different colors or background. 4.Collapsing/Uncollapsing Program Sections As mentioned in a previous post - allow collapsed/uncollapsed state of work area with single key/mouse stroke as well as keep last saved state. 5.Ladder Zoom Settings Retain last viewed zoom level for each section when working on a project AND KEEP zoom states when project is saved. 6.Symbol Table Editing Permit symbol name creation/editing from ladder in ONLINE and OFFLINE modes. 7.Publish a really useful manual on Structured Text. 8.The Find and Address Reference Tool Works pretty well in the ladder editor window, just hover over object and Right Click to choose FindBit, FindAddress, FindMnemonics or AddressReferenceTool. But in the Symbol editor there is no such function. Requires CtrlF and then type in address. In the Memory Map view there is no search function at all! Have an address reference tool available for Symbol and Memory Map. That's all for now, I know there are more!!! Anyone started a thread for CX-Designer improvements? Or is this in another group. Anyone have a good link for a Structured Text reference/manual, especially for Omron PLC CJ1M Knew I'd forgotten one! Improved instruction HELP The brief description of each instruction is NOT helpful. Show the complete instruction details directly from the manual - and PLEASE do not just open up the manual PDF and expect me to search for the Instruction. Go directly to the required page. Edited by BITS N BYTES

If you go here http://oeiweb.omron.com/DocumentLibrary.asp and type in "structured+text" into the search window in the top right corner a couple of pages of references come up. I do not know if the is anything there to suit but worth a try.

When working with really large programs, sometimes you'll have a ton of sections. It would be really nice to be able to group sections into main sections with subsections. For example, I have 4 sections that deal with the shutdown sequence. I would prefer to have one main section titled 'Shutdown' with all my subsets inside it. That way, I could collapse the tree when I'm not working on that particular group. Tig

If you have CS/CJ series, have a look at this.

#11, second time I ran into this. Code in the CX Programmer project: LD 0.00 OR 0.01 LD 0.02 OR 0.03 ANDLD LD 0.04 OR 0.05 ANDLD OUT 1.00 Code in PLC LD 0.00 OR 0.01 LD 0.02 OR 0.03 LD 0.04 OR 0.05 ANDLD ANDLD OUT 1.00 Program compare fails. Uploading the code from the PLC and program compare fails. The only way to do an online edit is to manually modify the mnemonics in the project. #12 Let me change I/O names online. If I screwup (that rarely happens :) and name a symbol with the wrong address, I can not correct the error online. Error about the name already existing. #13 give me a way to view unused I/O addresses. Even if they have names and comments. Give me a way to flush the unused stuff. I work on machines the have been modified by dozens of people over the last 5 years and the only way I have found to fined out what has not been used in the program is to open the address reference window and cursor through the symbol table. Didn't Syswin have this? DITTO!!! DITTO!!! DITTO!!! ( But make the symbols editable ) T.

Hello tstevic, It is possible to delete all unused symbols. Open required symbol table, use menu option "Edit \ Delete Unused Symbols". Voila! Regards anonymous

OK, found that one, but why is that option not on the right mouse button menu? Thanks, T

It would be nice to be able to view the unused symbols, not just delete them. When you view them it may be a reminder of something that was missed in the program.

Omron Function Blocks ST I have an utility which converts a Visio flow chart to txt file - which you can copy - paste into FB. Transitions - FB inputs, States - FB oututs. LL only to define transitions (based on inputs or internals) and outputs (based on outputs or internals). It works better than SFC! - less limitations! Any questions - please let me know.

Back to CX-P improvements: The cut and paste function is really handy for ladder logic, but it is not smart enough. See example diagram... When you have some vertical ladder lines in you copy, it will not paste if there is no room. This can be confusing for people new to CX-P. Why not let a paste simply drop any elements which will not fit (after all, you can always 'undo' if the results are undesirable) I note also that CX-One Version 2 has been released in Japan... when will we see it here. Looks to have improvements to several of the components. Nibroc

Further to "won't paste", it is impossible to copy and paste sections of program between rungs. You can paste a whole rung easily but, for example, I use CF113 as my first contact in every rung, Then if I wish to add a contact on the left hand rail I do not have to re-draw the whole dang rung. I quite often wish to copy and paste a section of a rung, both on and offline, into a new rung, with and without a contact on the left. Not possible. Wish it was - would save a lot of time.

BobB, you can use 'Ctrl+Alt+RightArrow' to open up columns to the left of a contact. This willallow you to paste into the empty columns. You should never have to redraw a whole rung.

Yep, use it a lot. In fact you can control more with the arrow keys combined with CTRL+ALT: LEFT> Delete rung column UP> Delete row DOWN> Add row Same functions of course as the ones in the right mouse button menu. Lots more at the Help menu in the Shortcut key section. Once learned, you will never use the mouse commands again!

I know - that is why I use CF113 as my first bit in a rung - I do not have to re-draw a pile if nonsense if I do not use it. I will see if I can post a picture(s) of what I mean.

How about a 'next free bit' prompt when adding a contact or coil? The next bit from W, H, CIO displayed. In fact, could be for every data type. This would work great if I could add a symbol as I add an address instead of opening the symbol table (and it must give me the option whether it's scope is global or local to the program. In fact, let me assign 'groups' of memory areas. Alarms get W0 to W10, etc, then I can choose the next available bit from a particular group. Edited by ParaffinPower

it would be nice to be able to open 2 cx-programmers, and copy /paste from1 into another. the way it is now, if i have 2 machines that are similar, but different enough that they need different programs, if i have to make a new change to both i have to write the changes twice instead of being able to copy from one and pasted into the other.

Hi You can open CXP 2 times and make copy/paste Banker

A couple of small annoyances with the documentation features - when commenting on a rung one can see exactly how the comments will look so that ctrl + enter can be used to keep all the comments on the page. This also works with element annotation. It does not work with section annotation. You have to use ctrl + enter then go out of the editor to see how the comments look before entering the editor again and using ctrl + enter to improve the appearance. With the element annotation feature, it would be good if once one entered the editor for elements out of sight of the notation section the program would automatically go back to the notation section, behind the editing box, so that one could see how the notation looks. This would allow instant ctrl + enter without having to go up and down the program to have a look at the appearance of the notations.

Doesn't work for me unless I am copying a whole program.. if I want to copy half a rung of logic, it doesn't do anything.