Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MORTARZ

rslogix

30 posts in this topic

hey guys i know i feel really stupid,,but my pc kicked the bucket, and really need a another copy of rslogix for school,,and as a student dont have alot of money to spend to get these programs, if someone could send me a life line that would be great,,my final grade depends on it --thnx -----starving student,,,,lucas

If you have your serial number from your master disk you received when you bought RSLogix, you should be able to download the program from rockwell.com. Edited by BobLfoot

Call your local Rockwell Automation office and ask for the "Solution Architect" or "Technical Consultant". If you're a student explain yourself I'm very confident that he or she will loan you a license or help you recover yours. I work with several technical colleges and always support student installations and licensing through the instructor.

thx very much for your info,,,worked great thx again lucas

Thanks for the follow up post. Nice to have actual experience confirm that the guys insisting on licenscing aren't heartless ogre's after all. With a valid case you can get a trial or student version. Please just be sure and honor their trust and don't start work life using it.

I probably have no business replying to anything, as I am very new to PLC's, however.........You can go into your "rocksoft" file, I believe that is the file name, and tell it to pull the activation code from the A: drive, as opposed to moving the activation to the hard drive. If the computer dies, you still have the activation code on the disk. The downside here is the more you access a disk, the shorter the life span. There is a way around that, which is best left unsaid as it could be used for nefarious purposes. Look in the "help" file for instructions on which file to edit, and where it is likely located. I use an older version, on win98. It was located in the 'windows' folder if I remember correctly. You can get a reactivation code online, but your are restricted to doing so once a year. Edited by Scott H

Scott, it is very easy to recover a lost activation online from the AB website if you have the original master disk and it only takes a few seconds to to it. Therefore I would recommend that you go ahead and install the activation on your hard disk and then store the activation floppy somewhere very safe.

Scott I side with Alaric and advise you to move the activation and store the floppy safely. It only takes a couple of minutes to recover the activation to disk thru the rockwell website. Also it is a known and AB publicised fact that your floppy will run a copy of Logix even if you've moved the activation to another computer.

you could go with the factory talk activation and trash the floppy all together......me.. i havent tried FT activation and i am kinda partial to the floppy ....a little..just a thought

Also if you insist on using a floppy disk you can move the activation to another floppy. That way you can keep you master disk put away for safe keeping

Are you absolutely sure of that TW. The only floppy disk I have had success moving an activation to is a master disk floppy. Always got some message like cannot move activation to removable media or something like that when I tried to move activation to a non master floppy.

Yes I'm sure. And this one is firmly documented by Rockwell. There is a little roadblock though. 5 reputation points to the person who can answer how including where Rockwell states it Edited by TWControls

from Getting Results with RSLogix 500 p. 93 "Tip: Store your Master disk in a safe place. If your activation becomes damaged, the Master disk may be the only means to run your software in an emergency." p.94 "When you launch RSLogix 500, the software first checks your local hard drives, then network hard drives, and finally local floppy drives for activation. If the system fails to detect either the activation file or the Master disk, you will receive an error message stating that activation is required to run the RSLogix 500 software." p. 88-89 "To use the Master disk to activate software: 1. Set the KEYDISK environment variable to TRUE. (Please refer to the online help.) 2. Insert your Master disk in the floppy drive. 3. Run your software as usual. Your software will find the activation on the Master disk." I've done this before. Don't know if this still works since CPR 7 came out & they now allow network activation sharing & USB keys & such. And I don't have a floppy on my new laptop anyway. Edited by ssommers

Close, but not the 5 points. Got to legally get the activation to a non-master disk floppy Edited by TWControls

Just map the Floppy as a network drive.

OK, let's try this... from the Activation Help files, "Use the software on multiple computers" "To use the software on more than one computer: 1 Install the software on both computers but do not move the activation when provided the opportunity. (If you already have the software and activation installed on one computer, you can install the software without the activation on the second computer. Then in step 2, move the activation from the first computer's hard disk to a floppy disk.) 2 Move the activation file from the Master Disk to another floppy disk. (You can move activation from drive A to drive A.) Click here for more information on performing a single drive EvMove. (see notes below) 3 Store the Master Disk in a safe place. 4 Set the KEYDISK environment variable on both computers. This must be set to allow the computer to search for activation on a floppy disk drive. Click here for instructions on setting KEYDISK. 5 When you want to run the software, simply insert the activation disk into the floppy disk drive and start the software." from "Single drive EvMove"... "You can move activation files from floppy disk to floppy disk even if your computer only has one floppy drive. Simply run EvMove as usual but specify the same drive letter for both the source and destination (From Drive and To Drive on the EvMove dialog box). The utility will display messages telling you when to insert the source and destination disks. Note: If the source disk was a Master Disk, EvMove will not accept a Master Disk as the destination disk." Did I get it this time?

Your all over it. Just need to find the roadblock

TW, If the activation is currently on the hard drive, use the EVMOVEW.exe located in [ start, program files, Rockwell software, rslogix 500]. Insert a blank floppy disk. Move from drive "C" to drive "A". How is this for an answer? swimmy67

G131659363: Moving Rockwell Software activation keys from a master disk to a floppy disk http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...8C?OpenDocument I also know another way to do it. $

If you want to move an activation to a USB drive, check this out: G112630101 - Copy Protection: Moving Keys to a USB Flash Drive http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...03?OpenDocument $

Watch posting other ways, if it is not documented you know you may have to feel the wrath of Chakorules Edited by TWControls

Obviously a lot of good info I was not aware of.... However... It sounds like you are just moving the activation to another disk. This keeps your original safe, but with no actual activation code on it. I am sure this is all Rockwell intends. I have never, nor would I ever share with anyone how to do this, but the entire disk, with activation code intact, can be copied unlimited times. I am sure Rockwell is aware of this, it would actually be easy to prevent with a minor code change. Perhaps they have in newer versions of the software. That's what I meant by it could be used for "nefarious" purposes. It merely takes a little knowledge of PC's and how things are done..

Scott this is where you are wrong. Unless things have changed a Rockwell Activation disk will not copy using standard windows or dos copy commands. This is due in part to a portion of the activation being buried in the disk null zone, which copy does not copy. Can't describe it any better than that without giving away the farm.

Ok, so you have now shown that you passed a elementary school computer class and have no ethics. You can copy an activation file. Big deal. Your original concern was the shorter lifespan of the floppy when using the master disk. You seemed to be concerned about using ILLEGAL (no it's not nefarious, it's flat out against the law, unethical, and adds another jerk to the list of people who raise the price of software because they want something for free and should rot in jail) methods to copy the activation file to the floppy. After a short contest for some reputation points we show you how to LEGALLY copy the activation to a floppy. Problem solved (or so we thought). Now you come back with no thanks, not that I'm looking for one, and push the illegal master disk issue again. What for? Are you looking for us to beg you to share your higher intelligence with us and teach us how to illegally copy the Master Disk? Ok here it goes. Oh please Scott, you are the greatest. You must share with me your wisdom on how to ILLEGALLY copy an activation file. PLEASE MASTER Is that better? Edited by TWControls