Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
timofthedeep

slc 5/03 to pv600 passthru

6 posts in this topic

I have a 5/03, 1747 -L531, os series b, os frn 14 series d proc frn 4. I have a pv600 connected to it via the rj45 jack DH485. I need to get linx to see the pv through the slc. The proc is node 1 and the pv is node 3. How do I configure the IO channels in the processor to passthrough from the db-9 (df-1) port to the dh485 port so rslinx will see it? Thx.

Well I thought this one was going to be easy since I was sure I had read about it in THIS thread but it looks like you were the origonator of that thread. Did you try Jstolaruk's post? Did you run into ratcliffe ic's problem with the series number. Can you update us on what you found from the threads of the previous post?

Well, this is the only one of these in the plant. referring to the old topic, Yes, I finally got the pv program by using a flash card, The dh485 pv has been replaced with a dh+ and the processor is now a 5/04 also on dh+ so the old topic is done, but this passthru is a matter of persistance now. I know it can be done. I want to know how. I have set all the status bits but no luck. I have a kb article but no luck. I do have a pcmk card and all the cables, but it took me HOURS just to get the pcmk card to talk to the pv dh485 Have not been able to get the passthru, tho. The 5/03 was no problem at all, both pcmk card and df1 work great on it. and I can get on the pv dh485 with it now that I know how to set it up. The 5/03 and dh485 pv are on my office desk, the pv and slc are communicating. I am not going to be happy until I get the passthru working, prefer using df-1 on laptop for this one because the pcmk connector is getting bad and I don't want to be the one holding it when if finally breaks. (office politics) The 5/03 ports are set up at factory defaults. The processor node is 1, the pv node is 3. What do I need to set the passthru nodes to? Any other status bits to set (or clear)? I'm using RSlogix500 v7, RSLinx classic 2.5 and whatever the latest panelbuilder is.

I think you'll find that in fact your SLC-5/03 controller doesn't support DF1 to DH485 passthrough. That was a relatively recent addition to the 5/03 controller in the "OS302 Series C" operating system, also referred to as a 1747-L531E controller. The whole mess of Operating System numbers and letters and revisions with SLC controllers is worthy of a Spinal Tap riff. A few years ago it was simple; the Operating Systems had numbers (300, 301, 302, 400, 401, 500, 501). Hardware had Series letters, just like everything else A-B made, and firmware revisions within the operating system had numbers. A controller was easy to identify: "Oh, you've got an OS401 Firmware Revision 5 controller". Great, I know what those are. Then came the Great Revisioning Schism of 2000. I wish I knew who was responsible for this leap of deduction, so I could buy him a beer. And then hit him with the bottle. Another operating system improvement was designed for the SLC-5/03, /04, and /05 controllers. This OS has a lot of neat things, including improved comms passthrough and some nifty block transfer instructions. For some reason known only to their therapists, the product managers decided that they couldn't possibly keep the numbers incrementing. And they couldn't skip OS402 and OS502. What would have made sense would be OS303, OS403, and OS503. But no. Instead the same OS number was kept, but the term "Series C" was added to it. OS302 Series C was the successor to OS302. So now the operating systems don't have similar numbers; they are still OS302, OS401, and OS501, it's just that the new ones are Series C. Oh, and FRN 9 was skipped. So now there are two Series letters on each controller label; one for the hardware Series, and one for the Operating System series. And I have to explain regularly that OS302 and OS302 Series C are functionally very different. "Software people" have an absolutely perverse relationship with release numbering systems. If you have a release officially called "2.0.1" you can guarantee that somebody's going to start calling it "2.1", and if you make a change the fiends are likely going to have to release that as "2.0.4 Build 16", and you have to explain why 2.0.4 comes after what they were calling 2.1...... This is the sort of thing that leads to nicknames and confusing letters being included in selection drop-down menus. If the PanelView group somehow survived with a Major Revision and a Minor Revision all this time, why can't anyone else ? "Builds" are for development, dammit. There should never ever be a build number associated with released software. That's part of "release", for the love of heaven, where a Build gets it's wings and becomes a Release Number. In fact, somebody in SLC marketing once explained the OS revisioning to me in a way that made sense. But we were very drunk at the time.

Not at ClaimJumpers in Kent I hope. LOL

According to the responses to your previous thread and according to Ken in this thread can't be done with your series C processor. If you are just worried about connecting to the DH485 network and don't want to purchase another PCMK have you thought about a 1747-UIC? But that would only solve your DH485, Your DH+ on your SLC5/04 would still require the PCMK