Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob O

Saturday Morning Rant

20 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how to go about getting permission to switch to a different AB distributor? Rant On The other day I called for quotes on some parts that included a ML1100 and I was told everything is in stock at the factory, I mentioned I believe all is correct but the ML1100 isn’t because I had been waiting on one for another project for the last 3 weeks. Sure enough, “oh the ML1100 is 21 days out” I then mentioned I need one before that and asked if they had checked around. “Yeah that is it”, well I then called a distributor up in WI that I had bought a HSC counter card from before and this guy search the country for me and told me who all had the ML1100 in stock and he knew he could sell me one because I was out of his region. Rant Off I have mentioned this problem to our distributor a number of times and it has improved a little but it is still frustrating knowing your locked into them when I know and have had better service else where.

Can't say I know how to change Distributors, but then I have had good service from mine here in Lousiville, KY. My Rant ON thing is that you need to watch their pricing like a hawk. They'll forget or change your multiplier without warning. Always good about making it right when you catch them, But I shouldn't have to check them. Rant OFF. P.S. Have you tried buying from Rockwell.com cost is a little higher but maybe you'll get it. Edited by BobLfoot

No complaints with my AB distributor. We have an excellent relationship. But what I would do is talk to your local Rockwell Rep. That will get you more results than talking to your distributor. And don't tell me they are too busy and won't talk to you or something like that. I worked for a company with 5 employees and we were having problems getting a quote on a $500 order. I called RA and they straightened it out right away Heck right now RA is shuffling reps around and we haven't had a rep for close to a year now. I had a problem and needed some info a few months ago and I called the old rep for the area and he took care of it. This goes for both of you Bobs. Call your RA Rep if you don't think they are taking care of you properly

Must be nice to get an RA rep. My only connection to RA is thru my distributor, the RA website or the RA service techs I've worked with in the past. An actual RA direct rep - I am envious. LOL Oh I forgot I can call 1-440-$$$-$$$$ Edited by BobLfoot

I was having a hard time with my local AB dist., so I wrote a letter to the president, asking them to "release" me and allow me to find another source for my AB stuff, along with a list of my complaints. I added a line about assuming they agreed if I did not hear anything in 5 days after reciept. Sent the letter registered mail, with a return reciept. I got a call from the President the day he received my letter, assigned new people to handle my account , and have not had any problems since. In my case I had a terrible salesman (he was the owners Nephew), and the formal complaint went a long way. I know a source for AB PLC's that will ship anywhere, but they don't stock anything. (PM me if you want the contact).

I believe everyone has a RA Rep but it is up to your distributor to introduce them to you. Also they have some new program that I can't remember the name of but a RA person in WI, I think, calls me just to see how the distributor is doing or if I need anything. I get the call bout once a quarter. This may be a pilot program though. I'm can't swear everyone has that yet

Unless this is an area with multiple distributors, distributor can't sell directly to the ouside area customer or he will loose distributor license. Apparently your distributor is not making your life easy. They should be able to work through Distributor Responce Center and locate MLX. It is a hot seller, but they should at least try. Next, go to AB website and select Locate Us -> Worldwide Offices -> US -> State and location closest to you. Find your RA office and call. They should be able to locate part for you and put distributor on the right track. And as last resort, call A-B parts division at 440-646-3434. They may not have a new part, but may find a refurbished part with immidiate shipping including weeekends just to keep you runnung. Edited by Contr_Conn

Thanks for all the replies. I would not rant like this if I thought it was just me. I had lunch with the head of Engineering from another company in town and he expressed the same issues. Here are some examples from the past that have irritated me: The distributor has two stores within 60 miles of each other Store A and Store B. If I called store A for a part and they did not have it they did not call store B to see if they had it unless you asked them to. This is fixed but I cannot believe that I had to b****h about it. Last fall it took 3-1/2 weeks to get a 120 VAC stack light unassembled. It took 2 weeks to hear back about a servo application.

In addition to the good advice already given you might try this: On your next small project purchase a different brand. Automation Direct is a good choice because their software isn't all that expensive. Have that PLC prominently displayed the next time the distributor's sales rep comes by on a sales call. Explain that you're evaluating other options due to the fact that you feel you're being taken for granted by your distributor.

We have two AB Dist in our area. We are free to buy from either, however only one of them can give us the 10 or 15% OEM discount. The other one, non-official supplier can't do this. They have the "better" tech support center however. We hate this situation. I called our AB reb for this area and complained wanting to change, AB wouldn't allow it. Instead they contacted our official supplier, and asked them to fix our complaints. It's been "ok" since then. The support is still not as good as our other supplier. If our official supplier doesn't have it, our secondary supplier normally does. We never have an issue of delivery unless both places are out.

We have the opposite problem with RA reps here in the MotorCity. I think RA uses this city as a training site and shortly after moves these guys to different locations so its unusal to get the same guy within a year's period. My business card stack of RAs is pretty thick.

Haha.. The RA-Detroit guys are moving around alright.. to McNaughton-McKay locations! Here's my understanding from when I worked for McMc. An A-B distributor cannot **CALL ON ACCOUNTS** (i.e. actively solicit business) outside their coverage area. However, a customer ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD can contact ANY A-B distributor and purchase product from them at any time. The difference is in who initiates the contact. Now, there are exceptions. Like for example, Chicago has two full-service distributors, so I'm not sure how they divide that up or everything's fair game. Also here in Detroit we have a "secondary" A-B distributor that AFAIK isn't supposed to be selling PLCs or software, but does. (probably purchasing it through another branch, that has full priviledges) So, anyway, for example, (Shameless plug alert!) if you were to call McNaughton-McKay's Detroit-area branch at (248) 399-7500 and ask for inside sales, they'd be able to send you a credit form to set up an account, or take a credit card number over the phone. From that point on, you'll have a customer number and will be able to place orders as you see fit. And I dare say McMc knows the scoop on the Micrologix 1100 :) If you're interested in knowing more, I can make a phone call tomorrow to a friend of mine over there that can confirm what I'm saying, and even take the order if you need this ASAP!

This post just proves there are multiple ways to skin a cat {or Distributor} as the case may be.

I am happy to see I am not the only one that can have problems with there distributors. In the past, I have displayed a new AD HMI for an attention getter but my salesperson is nice person but very forgetful, he could hide his own Easter Eggs if he wanted. I have called other distributors, they ask where the parts will be installed, and when I cannot lie very well, I am told to call my local distributor. Thanks Again, Bob

Bob O - Have you tried this number? 402-339-8373

I have not call the Rockwell office yet, I am trying to be optimist in that I will not need to do that.

Why, that is precisely why they are there. Why would you not call them?

I like most of the personnel I deal with at the local distributor and I hope I can get the issues resolved without going higher up the chain of command.

I've had my distributor salesman tell me to call RA before for this very reason. When a salesman goes into his company and tells higher ups of a problem, it can easily get brushed off as overreacting since customer relations is his job. If RA hears of it and decides that it is a problem and calls the company, it will get address quicker. It has never hurt my relationship with my distributor. I probably have a better working relationship with my distributor than most people do. Also if the waiting time on a product such as the ML1100 is a problem, RA needs to know about it. It could be a simple matter of shifting their warehouse inventory. It may have been a one time incident but if it has happened often in that area something else may need to be done about it. If no one tells them then how are they suppose to know it's a problem?

just a suggestion but i have gotten parts from EBAY in an emergency faster than a supplier. don't know if some companies allow it but my case my employer just cut me a check to reimburse me the same day with a big thanks to boot. that will definitely get your distributors attention.