Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob O

Pull-up resistor

10 posts in this topic

I have never need to use a pull-up resistor before but now I am told I need one. The manufacture recommends a 10kW pull-up resistor. I am wiring into a ML1100. I used the equation below to calculate the resistor size and came up with .0576 Ohms. P=V^2/R V=24VDC P=10 kW R=.0576 Ohms Is this correct? Thanks, Bob

I think the manufacturer means to use a 10Kohm resister.

They have 10 kW listed and the sensor can be powered by 5-24 VDC so that is why I was calculating an R value.

Your equations are fine, but you don't need a 10kW resistor to wire into a ML1100. I am sure they meant 10KOhm resistor. A quarter or half Watt resistor should be fine. Whatever they have at the local Radio Shack or similar. A 10kW 0.0576 Ohm resistor would pull 416 Amps at 24VDC!

We use components on our welders of the resistance and power-handling capablilty you mention . We call them shunt cables

The manual is incorrect so all is good now.

In defense of the manual the true story goes something like this. in the PLC design lab the engineer tells his assistant we need a 10 KiloOhm resistor for pullup. The overworked and busy assistant or his engineer puts 10 K ? in their sloppy handwriting. This then winds up on the desk of an even more overworked technical writer who thru a string of eplicatives wonders where the tech or engineer learned to write and types it 10KW. Since KW is a valid modifier for a resistor months later when proofing the manual no one catches it. And wallah you the end user must catch the error.

Please don’t get me wrong this wasn’t a big deal.

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/faq.htm From the above web site: A project on another website lists a 10kW resistor! What does it mean? It almost certainly means a 10k resistor. This is a common error which occurs when the web page specifies a Greek font. If this font is not available on your computer you see the character in your standard font and it happens to be W which is the symbol for watt, the unit of power! I avoid the problem on this website by using a small image for . In a few projects a low value resistor with a high power rating is required but the power will be something smaller like 5W, never 10kW which is more powerful than an electric heater!

good point mikey I never even considered that the greek font with omega symbol might have been loaded on one PC and not another.