Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Katy1163

Micrologix1100 & RSLogix 500 help

45 posts in this topic

I think the most likely option that my company will go for is number 3. I spoke to someone in purchasing and he said they were getting a training version. I told them it probably won't work, but they want to try before they get the full version. I will suggest getting a loaner copy. Thanks for the suggestions

What is the part number of what they are getting you? If it is free it is probably the 10 point Micrologix 1000 version you already have

Last time I did a tech connect contract (2005), they were basing it on the number of engineers to be serviced. 1 person was under $500 for both the RSLogix500 and Panelview32 software. Not too bad since it saved me from rebuying the packages. HTH! Sue

Actually, it's not even a functional program.....It really was a training CD that just had demos on it...one day I'll get the actual software. I think the purchasing guy is looking into the cheapest way....

I think that is going to be solution 3 or 4 in post #26

OK an update finally....I FINALLY have RSLogix 500, but now I am having a problem getting the controller to communicate. I am using the 1747 PIC to interface to my computer...I keep getting a fault with error code 0189h...I looked up the code and it's an expansion I/O module error. I am using the 1762-IF2OF2 module. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Did you add the module into the I/O configuration? Can you post your RSS file? About the 1747-PIC. Do you have a real serial port?

Yes I did add the module into the I/O config, yes I have a real serial port and is the RSS file the RS Logix file? Might be a stupid question, but..... Right now I have the plc disconnected from my computer and it is still saying their is a fault. I powered down and reconnected power, and the fault is still there.

Can you get online? Even with the processor faulted you should be able to get online. If you can't we need to start there first.

I also do not have the PLC available to me as of about 5 minutes ago....it needs to be shipped with a unit to a show, so I guess I will have to work on getting the program done in RSLogix offline. That I am not sure about either. Again, what I need to do is take a user input from the LCD screen of 0-100% and output a linearly related voltage from 0-10V. I don't even know where to start. Once I get started, I should be able to get through it.

Ok I'm going completely off of memory since all of my Micrologix 1100s are in production now. I should have played with it more when I was writing my article but the LCD did not fit my application. I'm going to try to order a spare in the next few weeks. The first step is you need an LCD instruction. For yours L2 source A will be a string file with the text you want to prompt the operator with. L2 source B will be the value There are also two additional entry line if you need them

I have one question, Why are you using a 1747-PIC module to connect to the ML1100? You can use the RS-232 programming cable that is used to program the ML1200 and the ML1500. The ML1100 can also be programmed by the Network port, only after a download from the serial port. swimmy67

I was kind of wondering that too. The cable Swimmy is talking about is a 1761-CBL-PM02 Also I think you can do the inital download over Ethernet using a BootP server but can't remember for sure. Got several of them coming for some projects, I'll try then

I am communicating with the computer successfully now.....but now getting RSLogix 500 to do what I need it to do is a little foggy. I have the LCD stuff all set I think....but how do I get the information that the user inputs to output 0-10 volts on the I/O module? where do I move the user input to?

I didn't review this entire post but I think you wanted to enter the actual voltage on the LCD and have it outputed on the analog. If this is so you can use an SCP instruction Input = Value from LCD Input Min = 0 Input Max = 1 Scaled Min = 0 Scaled Max = 32767 Output = your analog channel (example O:1.0) The reason for doing this is even though the analog output is 0 to 10 VDC the values to drive this output are 0 to 32767. If you were trying to feed the 0 to 10 directly into it you probably never saw a change in the analog value

OK I think i get what you are saying, but how do I scale the inputs in RSLogix? It's probably a very basic thing, but I'm not sure how to do it. Do I just multiply the input by 327.67 (the user will input 0-100)? Also, how do I address the particular output channel I am connected to? I'm on a very basic level with RSLogix, so any detailed instructions you could give would be greatly appreciated.

See if this helps. N7:0 needs to be replaced by the location of your value coming from your LCD. Also mine has a max input of 10. If your are going 0 to 100 then the max value should be 100 Actually in your case your could mulitiply by 327.67 but I like to use the SCP on analogs for clarity and it makes them a little easier to tweak. Also when you get to 4-20mA outputs it is very helpful

OK I figured that part out...Scale w/ parameters.....now two new questions....how do I get to the configuration data file to set my data format to 0-10V? And what is the process for uploading to the PLC? I am programming offline and when I try to go online to upload, it says something like it can't find my file and I hit create new file and it creates a blank file.

Goto I/O Configuration where you added the module. Double click on the 1762-IF2OF2. Goto the middle tab which is Analog Configuration. You will see the Output range there. Leave the data format on raw. One thing about Internet vs PLCs. The internet (or PLCs) are backwards. You download a file to the PLC. You upload a file from a PLC. To send your offline file to the PLC you need to download

Nevermind!! I figured it out = ) Thank you for your help!!! Edited by Katy1163