Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Katy1163

Micrologix1100 & RSLogix 500 help

45 posts in this topic

I have never worked with any PLCs before and now am stuck trying to figure out how to use the Micrologix 1100 for work. What I need to do (if possible) is just to take a user defined input and output it to a gas control valve. My question so far is: 1. Is it possible for a user to use the controller display to enter data? For example, I want them to be able to select the desired gas pressure from the PLC display. Can you use RSLogix 500 to make a program for this? I know there is a MUCH simpler way to control a valve, but my company wants to do it using a PLC to make it more "high-tech."

Short ansewer yes. You might want to read TWControls Ml1100 reveiw ( very good) here http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=76&c=29 Also see attached : You might want to consider a small HMI .like the PV Micro300. as you would have to open your PLC panel to get to the LCD on the ML1100. Just a thought. ML1100LCD.pdf

Short ansewer yes. You might want to read TWControls Ml1100 reveiw ( very good) here http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=76&c=29 Also see attached : You might want to consider a small HMI .like the PV Micro300. as you would have to open your PLC panel to get to the LCD on the ML1100. Just a thought.

Have any of you tried putting a square cutout w/ a clear plexiglass insert in the panel infront of the micrologix for operators to see the LCD display? I've done this before for Pico controllers and their equivalent (Fuji TimeRy), and it works reasonably well. Helps if you've got a shallow panel and pretty good lighting conditions :)

Thanks Mickey....that pdf was extremely helpful. Do you know alot about RSLogix 500? I'm brand new to it, and I don't know exactly what questions I will have yet, but I'm sure there will be plenty.

Thanks Mickey....that pdf was extremely helpful. Do you know alot about RSLogix 500? I'm brand new to it, and I don't know exactly what questions I will have yet, but I'm sure there will be plenty.

To have an input of 1 to 1000 end up at an analog output as 1 to 3.62 volts will most likely require the use of a scale instruction. Check your Logix help files for details.

Not a problem. On the keypad by the LCD you use the Left and Right arrows to select which digit you want to change and the Up and Down arrows to adjust the number How often will this need adjusted? Will the operator be adjusting this? If this will be done on a normal basis or the operator will make this adjustment I would second Mickey's view on using a inexpensive external interface. I really don't like people going into panels unless something is broke. Think I misunderstood the question but Bob took care of it Edited by TWControls

Unfortunately, my company ordered the PLC before I even got my hands on any specifications....things are a bit backwards here. This is what they got, so this is what I have to work with. The unit that I am working on is an educational training device and the PLC is going to control how much gas is let through an electronically controlled valve. What I've been told to do is set it up so the user can tell the PLC what pressure they want for experimental purposes and the PLC will output the appropriate voltage to the valve. Like I said...it is WAY more complicated than it needs to be, but they want it to look sophisticated....not my choice, that's for sure.

Ok I get it. So where do you need to go from here. Scaling the value? LCD? Is any of the I/O being used? I know you are new so just give us a little direction with what you are looking at next and we will help you get there. Have you played around RsLogix 500 yet?

Well...I'm trying to get a copy of it...can't really do anything without it. We have two very old copies here (install with 3 1/2 inch floppy...I don't even have a floppy drive) and we have a version 2.10 from 98 floating around here somewhere, but no one can find it. I have to talk them into buying a new one...that'll be fun. We also have the Analog input/output module (IF2OF2) to output the analog voltage we need. I think that all I basically need to do is well, first learn RSLogix, but then I just need to scale the input. I think my biggest problem will be learning to use RSLogix....but I don't know yet because I don't have it You guys really are a great help....I appreciate it very much!!!

First go and read HERE. It is the MrPLC AB Faq. It has some good links in it. Then to get you familiar with the software until you get your version, download the RsLogix 500 Starter kit. It is only functional with the 10 point Micrologix 1000 but you can start getting familiar with how to get around the software. See THIS technote for details on downloading the software. Play around with the software a little then ask away

I believe that you will need RSLogix 500 Version 7.0 to use the Micrologix 1100. I upgraded so that I could select the 1100 controller. Maybe it will be able to go online and work with an earlier version, but I didn't try it. $

Nope, you need version 7 which Katy1163 is purchasing. But the 10pt free version will help Katy1163 learn to get around the software until the full version is purchased

Katy1163 Here is another option to help you learn http://www.thelearningpit.com/lp/logixpro.html

If your company already owns legit copies of Logix 500, wouldn't be cheaper to activate a tech connect contract and upgrade as opposed to purchasing new?

The price of the tech connect is based upon the number of processors, sounds like they don't have to many. So your option should be the cheapest. I'm guessing the web support (cheapest option) is only a couple of hundred. Ken

I thought they had eliminated it being based on product count

My current contract expires in Sept., I'll let you know. My last two contracts were based upon processor count, I know because we crossed a threshold, and the price changed.

I am wondering if it is possible to limit the output of the output module. The valve that it will be controlling is also controlled by 0-10V, but at 10V, there is too much pressure. The limit for the unit is 1 bar of pressure, but at 10V, the valve allows 100psi which is equal to 6.895 bars. I could display a message not to enter over 1 bar, but I am dealing with flammable hydrogen and inexperienced students here. Is this possible?

Yes it will not be a problem in the program to do this, but one thing you need to address is this safety issue. Perhaps a secondary regulator that will not allow the pressure to reach that point. Have you got your software yet? BIG NOTE: A PLC IS NOT A SAFETY DEVICE!!!

Yes there is a safety valve on the flowmeter, so this is just a first step in regulation. I should actually up the max to 2 bars so there a little more flexibility, but no danger. I do not have the software yet....I have been playing around with RSLogix Starter, but there is only so much you can do without connecting to the PLC......I mean I have been able to see how it is set up, but that's about all. Do you know how much the software is?

The best thing to do is call your AB Distributor that I guess you purchased your Micrologix 1100 from and talk to them. But a few questions. Do you plan on doing a lot of PLC projects or is this a one time thing for your demo? You say students, so is this for a school? Elaborate if you can.

Well, as far as I know, I won't be doing a lot of PLC projects. I think they come along here and there. Yes this is a training unit for a college. I think my boss is looking into getting a one-time use version. I'm not really sure....

There is not a one time version of the software. But I think you do have a few options 1. Buy the software. If you think you will do enough projects in the future to justify it, it is well worth the investment. But if you are going to do one or two a year, it is not going to be very cost effective 2. Hire a company to do the programming. It should be a pretty simple program and I don't believe there would be a really big charge for it. 3. Get a loaner copy of the software from your distributor. They aren't going to let you borrow it every week but they will loan it to you a few times a year 4. Ask your distributor to do the program. If you are doing this for a school and not charging an arm and a leg they may do it to encourage their product in the school. What student learns with has a large influence on what they will use when they get out. Also as teachers need other demos built they will be more likely to use the product again.