Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Troy

PLC Wiring Colors

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys I'm a fourth year electronics engineering student who is doing a thesis project with PLC's. I am using Compact logix 1769-L32E PLC. I am flying blind as I am away from my University plus no-one there has dealt with PLC's before. The question I have is there a color code for wiring PLC's. That is colors for i/p and o/p wiring etc. I know some of the color designations, 24VDC control wires should be blue, and DC COM wires should be white/Blue

I use blue for +24VDC and white for 0VDC

I use blue for +24VDC and white with blue stripe for DC COM. I have seen blue with grey stripe, blue with white stripe, and grey with blue stripe for DC COM as well. I believe they all meet code. I use red for 120VAC and white for N. All wild feeds are yellow.

Troy - One word of caution. Kadeschs has not revealed where he is from. He may not be from Australia and wiring conventions could vary between countries. Sleepy just verified the wire colors you asked about. You may want to ask about other wire colors you need to verify to make sure they are the same in Australia. Edited by TWControls

Hi Sleepy Wombat, What wiring color convention is used for inputs (push buttons/switches) and outputs (Indicator lights and relays). Thanks

The wiring color conventions metioned above could be used (for 24VDC systems..PB's,Switches,Indicator lights, ect.). It just depends on the Voltage of the control system and whether it is AC or DC, that will identify the correct color scenarios used by devices.

What we use (Sweden): blue: low-voltage, typically 24 VDC red: 230 VAC, including neutral (both normally connected to transformer in same cabinet) black: anything 3x400 V or connected to it light blue: neutral wire green/yellow: earth orange: foreign voltage

Thanks Techjunky..I couldn't have put it better.

I am using 24V DC for control. 41.5V AC though I have color codes for this. Thanks gentleman

The plant I use to work for used: Red = AC Inputs Orange = AC Outputs Blue = DC Inputs Purple = DC Outputs Brown = Analogs Yellow = Safty Green = Ground White = Com Black = AC I sure I'm forgetting some. These days most of the panels I deal with are done in "Cable Fast" and mulity conductor cables so no color codes. Brett Carlson Systems Analyst I.E.S. bcarlson@ies-ca.com

The pretty much accepted code for jobs I've worked in the US has been. Green for Grounds. Blue for DC. Red for AC. And yellow for wires powered by a source outside the current panel. Black and White show up along with red on 3 phase ac.

I thought there was a discussion on this a while back...and I found it. HERE http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=4446 Edited by TechJunki

Thanks everyone for the replys. greatly appreciated. I now have all the information I need.

No problem Troy. Let us know what you think of 1769-32E. Any useful anecdotes would make welcome reading. Especially from someone just learning his way.