Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MIKE31

AB RSLINX AND WINDOWS XP

21 posts in this topic

I wonder anybody knows the solution to going on line with slc 500 processor having windows xp and 1747-pic connected to serial port of computer. Thanks

What's the problem Mike? I do it everyday, no issues here. I am running 2.41 Rslinx Pro.

What type of SLC 500 is it and which port are you trying to connect to? Do you have an offline file you can give us the communications configuration off of? Does your laptop have a real serial port or are you using a USB to serial adapter? The PIC will not work with the USB to serial adapter. The PIC will work with XP, but you must make sure that all serial drivers such as the AB_DF1 driver are stopped and you must start RsLinx as a service. But the easiest way is to throw the 1747-PIC in the ocean (last time it was the lake, now it is the ocean, these warm days are killing me, I have to get to the water soon) and get you a 1747-UIC. It is the USB equivalent of the PIC Edited by TWControls

Thanks guys for the response Just to remind you when I connect the system to laptop (windows me ) with serial port I have no problem at all, but connecting to desktop with windows xp and serial port all fun starts . Thanks once again

As chakorules said, I am also running XP, and then XP with SP1 and now with SP2, with no problems I connect on a regualr basis to 501, 502, and 503 with the PIC box and have no problems. Recently I was using RSLinx 2.43 and now 2.50 both without any problems. Just like TWControls said if you are tying to use a USB to Serial converter, then this will not work. I would check several things on your computer. If you are positive that all of your RSLinx configuration is correct, and no other programs are trying to use the serial port (like the computer battery backup settings), I wyould use something like PortMon to look at the Serial port and verify that somthing else is not trying to communicate on it, preventing RSLinx.

I have seen this on some modern PCs, the serial port runs with a line voltage of 5v instead of the standard 12v. As it is a desktop you could try an add-on serial card, or better still just buy the USB version of the PIC. It is much more reliable than the old PIC

HI Can somebody start on this topic thank you all

You haven't explained your problems.

Maybe if you could give some more information as to "THE FUN STARTS". That does not really explain what type of problems you are having.

HI AGAIN (RSLINX 2.42 and 1747-pic to serial port com 1 with windows xp) as mentioned no problem with windows me. these are the mesages I get running windows xp: 1 The system you are installing for this hardware AB PIC/AIC+.... HAS NOT PASSED WINDOWS LOGO testing to verify its compatability with windows xp. 2 fatal error initializing PIC device driver. swap driver ( ) failed to swap in the new PIC driver try restarting RSLINX when restarted the same thing happens. in addition driver is installed AB-PIC-1 DH 485 STN :0 COM 1 is always stopped and can not be changed to running condition

You may want to try looking at the following technote if you have not already.. http://domino.automation.rockwell.com/appl...c3?OpenDocument Edited by TechJunki

It is amazing how these kind people will help you with your problem when you give some details If Techjunki is correct, go with solution #1

As any good techie will tell you. Step one to solving any problem is to define the problem, thouroughly and correctly. This is where we fail most often.

Can somebody reply weather a solution was found for the problem. It's always nice to know what the solution was if the problem was solved, especially to add closure to the original topic for future review ... Thanks I am sure everyone will agree with me here?? --I need to install that SpellCheck--

I will definately second that. I'm not really looking for the thanks. I'm looking to know if what we suggest works or not. If it doesn't then we need to look for another solution not just for the user with the problem but the next user as well

I have the same problem. As per AB's knowledgebase, the PIC driver cannot be used in XP. I have two lap's, and 2 pc's running XP Pro and can't use the PIC (I drop into 2000 to use it) That said, my customer has a pc with XP Pro, and runs a pic driver with no problems. I can only infer that there is something else creating the problem. My customers pc has a virgin (no upgrades) install, no virus programs or email setup. All my units have all of this. This may be the problem. Either way, I tried for awhile to get it to operate and finally gave up. It was easier to swap drives (i do this anyway) and run 2000 or 98.

Wouldn't it be easier just to get the 1747-UIC?

question didn't ask for alternate hardware so I answered as to why the PIC driver won't work....yes you could use the UIC....I don't however have one...I had a serial panelview running DH485. To upgrade firmware I needed to run the PIC driver. I also have several older programs for other manufacturers that don't do well in 2000 or XP. Because of this I run swapable drives on all my units so I can use 95, 98, NT, 2000 or XP. So it was simpler to run in 98 or 2000 to resolve problem. I also answered because I appears that many people are running XP and the PIC driver and questioning why there was a problem. However there is an AB technote that indicates this is a problem with the EXACT error messages being indicated in this thread.

You guys that are having problems. Have you tried deleting your COM1 port in your computer and letting Windows XP re-install it? Make sure that you PIC is not connected, and that nothing is using COM1 when you do this. Go into > Control Panel > System > > Hardware > Device Manager > Port (Com and Printer) Right click and UNINSTALL COM1 and COM2 First take notice to what it says. Does it say (Communication port com1)? Or does it say something else? Like (Allen Bradley Com1) Or (Modem Com1) or (US Robotics Com1) etc? If it doesn't say (Communication port com1) then something in your computer has taken ownership of your com port, and you have to figure out what it is. If it says Communication port com1, then UNINSTALL it. Next right click, and click on Scan for Hardware changes. Windows XP should plug and play and re-load your Communication Port com1 driver. Now start RS Linx, Make sure you are running 2.42 Lite at the least. When it start, if you had the PIC driver running before, it WILL GIVE YOU A WARNING about the driver not being Windows compatible, just say OK to this question anyway. If you don't get that far, then you still haven't solved the issue. If you didn't have the driver installed before, when you get to the Rs Linx app, DO NOT hit the browse tree on the left, this starts the driver and you CAN NOT DELETE IT. Instead, click on Communication, then Configure Drivers Like in my article: http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=65&c=11 Try then to configure a PIC driver. Make sure you DELETE all other drivers. Just delete them all. Even after deleteing all the drivers, try rebooting your PC once. And double check your com ports and make sure it still says: (communication port com1). Then go back into RS Linx and create the PIC driver. Let me know.

I did not see that someone addressed this issue: This is just a warning from Windows XP that driver was not certified by Microsoft. 2 ways to deal with it: - ignore warning every time you see it - disable it (at your own risk, make sure you understand). To disable this warning permanently for ALL Drivers - Right Click on My computer, select Properties. - Select Hardware Tab - Click on Driver Signing button - Select Ignore option. - Click OK Edited by Contr_Conn