Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob O

RSVIew32 dialing a cell phone

17 posts in this topic

I am thinking about setting up my RSView32 Messenger to call my cell phone if certain conditions exist but I do not have an analog phone line to my server. All of our phones in the office are digital and I ‘m told that getting an analog phone line would be difficult. The local TRC group said they do not know much about the phone stuff but I should try it. I search the knowledgebase but nothing jumped out at me. So, does anyone have any pointers or places to look to find out how to call a cell phone from my server using digital? This little project is more of a “can I do it” type project then anything. Thanks, Bob

You may read Chakorules post HERE. The digital is a problem but you may check to see if you phone system has the ability to dial an extension and switch to an analog line like he talks about

Haven't used RSView a lot, but did set up a 1761-net-eni to send email and the address was an sms enabled cell phone. Rther than actually dialing you send an email whcih shows up on the phone as a text message. Might want to explore that avenue in RSView particularly if your RSview terminal is already on a system with an smtp server available.

What is an SMS enabled cell phone?

Bob, I was thinking email but the text message works great.I just tested it and request outlook for my server. I will also search to see if there is something free instead of paying for a seat of outlook. I am using a nextel i710 Bob

TW: SMS means Simple Mail Services If memory serves me correctly. It is the base protocol for text messaging at least in the early cell phones. BobO: Try a google search fro "Free SMTP Server" and you'll find several candidates. There was one program the Rockwell forum guys liked, but I forget it's name.

Thanks. My phones got it. I just couldn't put 2 and 2 together and figure out what SMS stood for

I woke up to early this morning but I now have RSView32 sending messages to my cell phone from my test bench. I found that Outlook asks for permission before sending the message but I think there is a way to work around this in Outlook. I search the Free SMS Software but there are a lot of them so I will ask our IT for recommendations or if anyone knows which one the Rockwell group recommends that would great also. Thanks for all the help, Bob

Bob, Try using U.C.ME-OPC from Control-See. It connects to any OPC server. In your case it may connect to RSLinx. You may send text messages (SMS) from RSView to any cell phone. You can even send SMS commands from your cell phone to RSView. For example: you may query or change a tag value using a text message. You may download a trial version at Control-See Software Solutions. Mike

You may use the U.C.ME-OPc software from Control See. It can connect to RS-view and send alarm messages (voice or text) to any cell phone. A fully functional evaluation version can be downloaded at www.controlsee.com . Visit Control See Website Michael

SMTP is trivially easy to talk to. Try it yourself. If you have the location of your mail server, just pull up a command prompt and type "telnet yourserveraddress 25". It accepts a secret command called "HELP". Everything is in text. Before it will talk to you, it will usually ask you to announce yourself (HELO myservername). Read the RFC (request for comments) on SMTP. It is very lucid and easy to read. The exact steps to use it are: HELO myservername MAIL FROM your-email-address RCPT TO dest-email-address BODY Put a properly formatted mail message here. . Then disconnect. If you prefer a programming solution, the SMTP library in Python is particularly easy to use and really easy to script. And you can make everything a command line parameter or a text configuration file. That's what I did in the past. Then just bundle everything into a "self-executing" file when you get done and execute it from RS-View. I'm sure there are some packages which do similar things (even harnessing Outlook) but I found them all to be very cumbersome for sending out simple alarm messages.

Since we're resurrecting an old post, but still quite relevant - I'll just mention that most of the newer Contrologix Ethernet Modules will send email thru an SMTP Server now. No need to massage the data in your SCADA / HMI app and have the PC send the message. I was getting one email per shift containing production counts from my 1756-L63 CPU when production counts were totalled at end of shift.

Can it be done with a ML100? or what is the best way to do it with a ML1100 to send a text message? Thanks Andra

The ControlLogix examples for sending emails I've used need an SMTP Server and a Processor which can send CIP Generic messages over ethernet. I think the 1100 meets this spec, but have never proven it works. Others may have a bette answer.

I have used emailing once in the control logix platform, so I am not super familiar with all the trick I can use with it. While we are talking about SMS text is it possible to send one from the control logix processor through a e-comm card to a phone, sorry if I am getting off topic of bob's org post.