Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeevan

Password Lock Controllogix Routine

5 posts in this topic

Hi all, Is there a feature in Controllogix ladder logic to password lock a particular Routine or Task to protect it from anybody being able to view it until he has the password. Wanted to know since there is such a feature available in GE PLC's so just curious. Thank u all.

You used to be able to password protect individual data files and routines in PLC5s but I don't think Controllogix has that particular option. It does come with a Security Server which is located on your RsLogix 5000 CD. I have never used it so I don't know if it will serve your purpose or not. Are you trying to keep accidental programming changes from happening or are you trying to protect your code from being copied?

You can protect your routines by using source protect facility of RSLogix5000 . You need to create a key eg ram.dat and use it just like license, routine is accessable/viewable only if key is present at the given location. It works , I regularly use this . Shriram Pendse.

I have rsview32 works installed in my computer and use its security features to protect areas in my HMI authorised only for administrator level people but people often add user accounts to with all keys available to them to be able to access those protected areas so i want to passwod protect by comparing it with a numeric digit in my PLC and generating a bit, if entered digit equals set digit (inside PLC) and use this bit to protect my areas in HMI but i dont want them to able to access the the routine in which i have stored the password digit by going online with the PLC so i just want to protect that particular routine in which the password digit is Set. I hope u get my point? if not i will elaborate later. Short on time right now.........

easier way (well maybe) is this....if you are using RSView32 you can either write some VBA code and some form of hash (i've frequently used the Date and Time as indexes) or if you're familar with VB and you think VBA is too transparent, write an ActiveX component and embed it into the RSView32 app. If you still think they will get around it, then they must want it very badly.