Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
controltestguy

Clearing Memory

6 posts in this topic

Anyone know the procedure for clearing the memory on a 6ES5 375-0LC31 S5 memory module installed in a S115U CPU 943 thanks, CTG Email: bas_00@yahoo.com

I dont know the type number of that memory module off hand. But if there is a sticker on the main chip on the module, and there is a small "window" under the sticker, then it is an EPROM (aka UVPROM). You then need an EPROM eraser with a powerful UV lamp to erase it. It takes up to 30 minutes to erase such a thing. If there is no such "window" then it is an EEPROM, and you dont have to erase it. Every time you program it, what is on it allready will be overwritten.

It's an EEPROM - No window. What we do is pull the EEPROM, perform a hard reset, cycle the power to the PLC, reinstall the EEPROM and power back up. The EEPROM reloads the program as expected. We've also left the EEPROM installed and cleared the PLC memory with a hard reset. Powered down and powered back up. The program remains. We've also cleared all the logic with the software, powered down and powered back up and the program remains. We're using FastTrack Software. Is there a memory protect switch I might not be aware of. Is there a separate 'clear EEPROM memory' function'? I'm not a Siemens guy. I'm more into AB stuff. thanks, CTG

Ok, I think I see the problem. You want to clear the EPROM completely. Normally you would need a Prommer to do so, it cannot be done with the module plugged in the CPU. Maybe there is a trick to do it without a Prommer anyway. With S5-100U there is a "copy" button that when activated would copy all the online blocks from the CPU to the memory module. It works only with EEPROMs. I dont remember if there is a similar button on the CPUs in the S5-115U series (7 years since I worked with S5 !). But if there is such a button you could try to do it with the memory cleared in the CPU. Clear the memory while online with the software. Then use the button (read the manual). I dont know if this will erase all blocks, or if the functionality is that existing blocks will be overwritten. If the latter is the case, then you cannot delete the EEPROM in this way.

Hi, Do you have a PG 740 from Siemens ?? With it you can erase the EEPROM very fast. Regards, Berg

Only the S5-95U and S5-100U have the switch RUN/STOP/COPY. The 115U PLC not have the switch with COPY function. The 6ES5 375-OLC31 is been EEPROM memory module. To erase fully this modules, i use a old hand AWL programming console PG615 ...with power supply. This console is very hard to use for programming, but i use now only for quick programming/erasing EEPROM modules. Stéphane.