Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jamie571

Inview Ethernet/ip To Slc 5/05

9 posts in this topic

OK experts I've got an Allen Bradley SLC 5/05 series C. I've got 6 panelview plus hooked to a switch that is hooked up to the processor. Everything is working fine. I then hooked up an Inview message display today and configured the Ethernet/IP module hooked to the display(BTW the module looks like a screenless panelview 550 ethernet). The SLC and the Inview both show up in RSLinx and I can dl to the display through RSLinx, but the display just can't communicate with the SLC. I was on the phone with AB tech support today for 2 hours reviewing my setings and everything looks good to them. I'm going to exchange the module I guess, but I don't understand how it can communicate with the PC through ethernet, but not the processor. The other panelview plus's work just fine. I'm tempted to use the Devicenet module on the Inview, but that will mean adding a third 1747-SDN DeviceNet card to the rack. Edited by Jamie571

Some more information for you: The panelview plus's have never showed up in RSLinx Classic, but show up just fine in RSLinx Enterprise. The Inview Comm module (a panelview 550 ethernet board I'm pretty sure) shows up in RSLinx classic but not RSLinx Enterprise. The processor shows up in RSLinx classic and RSLinx Enterprise. This has probably something to do with Ethernet vs. Ethernet/IP. So has anyone have ever had a panelveiw plus and a panelview on an ethernet network connected to a SLC 5/05 processor? Trying to nail this down as the project has only a month left to go. Edited by Jamie571

I can't answer you original question about why the Inview product won't access the SLC, but in order to get the devices to show up in RSLinx, you need the EDS files for those devices installed on your PC/Laptop.

My understanding is that the SLC5/05 Ethernet port does not support Ethernet/IP but uses PCCC.

I just read over at plcs.net that the SLC 505 needs to have OS501 and FRN5 or later in order to understand ethernet/ip. just curious about this - are you able to download messages to the Inview via RSLinx and enet or are you just downloading configuration to the ethernet/ip adapter? You're right - it is the innards of a PV550.

The SLC is the new series C 5/05. Using RSLinx to download messages to the display that is connected to my computer via ethernet. Sent the ethernet/IP module back today. Waiting on a new one to see what happens.

the reason I asked is that I've always had to make a serial connection to the display to download messages. Maybe there's a newer version of s/w that I don't have. ( i have ver 2.1)

Just a thought but try connecting your Inview to the SLC with no PV Plus connected. I know all ethernet comm mods have a connection limit. Six PCV Plus may be consuming all availabel connections. I am rusty on this maybe others know better.

Just an update for everyone. I finally got the Inview communicating. This is how it happened: I tried to communicate with an Ethernet panelview classic and also couldn't establish a connection even though the panelview plus's worked fine. I discovered that it worked fine with a series B 5/05 processor, so this led me to look at the new features of the SLC 5/05 processor. I found out from this site that I needed to have the SNMP Server Enable box checked. So I checked the box and reset power to the SLC. At first this did not help and I remember trying it before without success. I then had to power down for about 30 mins so the techs could make some wiring changes and when they powered everything back up communication with the Inview worked perfect. Whats confusing is that even though the boxes or configuration are being shown in RSLogix that doesn't necessary mean what config is actually being used. Notes: With series C SLC 5/05 processors: 1.) In channel configuration: SNMP Server Enable box checked 2.) Power down for at least 30 seconds so any configuration will take effect. Edited by Jamie571