Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimWilborne

Factory Talk Activation

39 posts in this topic

That's the one major advantage of the Factory Talk activation. You don't need any help at all to recover a trashed activation. The activation file is a simple text file. Once you have a valid activation file, you can back it up anyway you like. You can have a copy on every jump drive you own, every hard drive. Whatever you can think of. Where the problem comes is what if the *target* of the activation file blows up. i.e. the NIC card. Now you need to re-activate and get a new activation file. So you need access to a phone and/or the internet. However, the important point is: You don't neccessarily need access to the internet from the target computer. You need access from any computer that can receive e-mail. That I can usually manage in the field. It's not all roses, but recovering an activation shouldn't be a big deal.

Yeah but you can't move the activation among computers, unless you move the nic card, hehe. It always sucks to have a piece of software limited to working on one machine. $

USB Network card, memory stick, SD card, etc. Looks like plenty of ways to move from PC to PC

Not every Rockwell software package nor does every PC installation support all of these methods Bad luck just seemed to bite me in one particular area, but now I'm just whining $

OK you guys seem to have a better understanding of this Factory Talk activation. Recently (1-2months ago) we got the latest RSlogix, IT helped install due to firewall, network etc. Factory talk was activated and a password was enter which I HOPE IT remembers. Program ran fine for the couple of times I needed it. Move on a couple of months, go to use the program and factory talk log on or security log in are asking for passwords. IT is not in yet and I was wondering if someone can explain in lamens terms what is going on? I not real hip with the whole networking thing, I just program and troubleshoot machines. Thank you

Which RsLogix are you using? 5, 500, or 5000? Which version?

FT Activation and FT Security are different things. Activation is just the "key" that allows the software to run. Security is the mechanism that lets different users with different privileges perform different actions with the software. FT Security can be standalone (probably what you have) or can link to the Windows security system so that administrators can manage software licenses and privileges. Most of the time, programming software like RSLogix 5/500/5000 does not require or use FactoryTalk Security. It should not have been turned on or installed when your IT department installed your software, since it sounds like you don't need the management features. That's not much comfort to you now that something's changed and you are locked out. The good news is that Rockwell Automation Tech Support can unlock the Security setting. Give them a call; it's almost 9:30 in Cleveland.

Sorry I should have said 500 Thanks for the explaination Ken. Basically I am the only person here that works on the PLC's I have a laptop with all my software on. I use our network server for backup purposes. If I undestand you correctly I should be able to turn off the security setting when I get in. Edit to add:- Talked to Tech Support, they had me change the software through Add/Remove programs in the install wizard select modify program, then de-select the Enable RSsecurity, finish install wizard and all fixed. Most of you probably use the security feature due to mutiple users and networked PLC's, I have the best security, its only me. Edited by forqnc

bollocks I am guessing I should have read this thread before doing what I just did.... We bought a single node copy of RSLinx. Not using rockwell products very often was left very confused about the new activation procedure... The basis being that we may want to move our activation to a new PC in the future. I phone our local rockwell support centre and the man assured me that even though we had the node locked version, it was possible to move the activation to another computer.... I am assuming this is not true from what I read on here? This could be a bit of a cock up because we will be needing to change the PC at christmas time...

Reread the 2nd entry by BobO and follow the link. What you will want to do is rehost your activation from its present PC to the new one. All things being equal a simple procedure.

ah my bad i see how it works now. Thanks very much

No Problem glad to help when I can

AB USB Dongle doesn't have Internal memory

Factory Talk Activation FAQ http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/i...fa001_-en-e.pdf