Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rwraley

Cheap Easy Way To Display Integer

11 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a recomendation on a cheap easy way to display an N file integer short of a panel view or microview. I have a micrologix that reads pulses from encoder and ends up in an integer file as RPM. This is the only data that I need to display. Are there any simple numerical interfaces out there that can accomplish this without all the bells and whistles. Thanks.

Depending on the MicoLogix you have. If you have an Analog output, you could address it out to an genaric LED display, depending on the accuracy that you need. Otherwise I would use something like the PicoGFX or even a EZAutomation EZText Display for around 200-250. I am sure that there are probably other methods but these are the cheapest that I have used and know that would work.

Here's a crazy thought, you could assemble 7-segment LED displays onto a perfboard and drive them directly from a DC discrete output card. It would probably make sense to use TTL BCD-to-7-segment driver chips (7445 if memory serves) to simplify the wiring. Heck if you could strobe them fast enough you could probably drive quite a few digits from one 16-pt output card. The ladder code could become a nightmare for that though! You asked for cheap, it can't get much cheaper than that! Red Lion might have something like this that is pre-packaged and professional looking if that is a concern, but obviously it would be a little more $$ than homebrew

Just a thought, never tried it but.... Get a digital voltmeter, a capacitor and a couple of resistors. Voltmeter across cap along with one resistor, other resistor feeds cap from PLC output (assuming you have a digital output). Then using a variable pulse train from the output you should be able to generate a voltage across the cap to represent the speed (ish). May take some playing with but it is the cheapest way I can think of doing it.

Find a old computer, and send ASCII via rs232 to hyperterminal

To make those kind of recommendations, we need to know what model of micrologix he has.. It may not have ASCII or PTO instructions!

Gravitar, It's a 1761-L16BWA, series E, frn 1.0

Aww, the Micro 1000 can't do ASCII control

No ASCII, no pulse-train, no expandable I/O... I think you're going to need a device that can connect over DH485/RS232. A MicroView, DTAM, Panelview 300, or aftermarket equivalent is probably gonna be the cheapest.

Too bad you can't upgrade to an 1100. It comes with an LCD built in that will display integer values. 1100.bmp Edited by Ron_Smith

That might be worth a look. It may end up being more cost effective depending on what other upgrades you may be considering.