Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stupidav

Cannot Obtain Com Port

6 posts in this topic

For some reason during the last two weeks of Windows XPSP2 updates something got screwwy. I have had no problems with this for the last couple of years and now, I take a two week break and I can't download or upload to a PanelView 1400e serially. I keep getting "Cannot obtain com port". I have tried not running Linx and running Linx, and verified that Linx was not running as a service. I can see the panel view through linx but the Transfer Utility still won't work. Has any one else had this problem lately? I guess I will either reinstall the transfer utility and or PB1400E, or even uninstall the last couple of MS updates that came out the last couple of weeks, because I haven't installed any new programs or anything like that.

If you run HyperTerminal, does it give you the same error? If so, then its a WIndows issue. If not, then something is suspect with the transfer utility.

What is in the transfer type drop down menu. If you are downloading serialy, this shoud be RSlinx Network. I don't know about your model but I had this issue on standard panel views and that was the problem.
1 person likes this

I tried using HyperTerminal with no problems. I also have tried choosing the Network Option (using RSLinx) and even did the station browse and it found the PV1400e but yet after I hit apply and then OK to get back to the Main screen, I hit upload, and immediatly it comes up with Cannot obtain comport. It is kind of strange, I almost think it is a problem with the Transfer Utility, but I am not sure what caused it or what is wrong for sure to prevent it from occuring in the future or even what the best method of correction to get me back up and running. I might have to get with AB and signup for another service contract for a year.

Are you using PanelBuilder 32? It seems to me I had this problem with the 1400E software/firmware version a while back and was able to communicate with PB32. It might not be the root of your problem but it might let you communicate. CTG

Dave: Just a couple of obvious things to check. 1. Is the fax service stopped. It can interfere with PB1400e and not Hyperterminal. 2. Have you applied the latest communication patch for XPSP2. The patch comes from Microsoft and is mentioned in the Rockwell Knowledgebase. I'd recommend a search there for an answer. BobLfoot