Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BadgerGuy

Analog To Digital Signals

8 posts in this topic

Hello, I was asked if it was possible to monitor an analog signal using a slc 5/04. the project would consist of me pressure testing a casting with air. I would load one onto a station, fill it with 300psi wait 30 sec and then fill it with 15 psi. I have a reference volume and a casting that I test. I also have a sensor that will monitor both of the pressures by having two cavities separated by a thin aluminum wall which will produce a resistance equal to the difference in pressure. I was thinking about trying to use an analog input module, and the "scale with Limits" function, create a range the resistance could be in and bring a rung high if a leak was detected from the signal going out of the parameters. I have absolutly no idea it this will work, seeing as I have not yet worked with analog inputs Is this a good method to use in this situation? thanks

I don't see anything wrong with the application. You should be able to use the SCP instruction to scale you min and max analog signal to you min and max pressure of the switch

Should work fine, but at 300 PSI I would hope that the casting is enclosed in a safety cage to catch shrapnel. Been asked to look at reworking a tire machine to seat the bead. Only problem I see right now is getting a reliable reading of tire pressure during fill since gauge seems to read a lot higher until fill valve shut off.

Did I miss something? Where did the tires come into play. I've worked with tire presses and have never seen anything like the castings like are described

sorry for the confusion. I guess I saw similarities between applications. Fill a vessel with high pressure air, monitor, then fill with low pressure air. In his case is a casting, in my case is a tire.

Yes, reading again it is similar, I just got confused on the thin aluminum plate. But have been out of the tire industry for two years now THANK GOD

The castings really don't burst. they have a small leak and fizzle a bit. the pressure would drop and the pressure difference sensor would post a higher resistance thus fail the casting. I am going to run each test for twenty seconds through a TON and monitor the process by writing to integer files. once the timer times out and no values outside the parameters have been detected the meter will pass. Is there a way to export some of the data from the integer files to an excel spreadsheet? Thanks

Sure, RsLinx Single Node, OEM, or Professional will all allow you to link you PLC values directly into Excel. If this will be for a single plc use Single Node. Multiple Plcs then use OEM. Someone else will have the chime in for the advantages of using Professional. I have personally never used it